Coil Cover Sealing Tape Options

On 7/8/2021 at 7:29 PM, midalake said:

Depends on what the purpose is and where your working?

I suppose you're absolutely right.  I'm thinking of an all purpose seal. 

On 7/8/2021 at 7:29 PM, midalake said:

Take the Equinox stock coil.....that would be a nightmare

I have never tackled trying to seal the Equinox coils, even though they bother me the most with how hard the covers are to remove and all.  I've heard of the silicone treatment, but the idea of having it look unprofessional and leave residual bothers my peculiar side. 

14 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Have you tried Gaffer's Tape ???  Leaves no residue .

(Don't look at the price first , I used to buy it by the case ! ...)

The stuff in Aus. leaves a bit of residue but is easily removes with Turps. 

• Like 1

Well, to any others reading here, fiberglass tape goes on very nicely, but is a horrible mess to remove after the tape begins to break down. The adhesive is extremely gummy and doesn’t dissolve easily with citrus oil based adhesive removers.  Be advised to not go there.

For those of you using electrical tape, how often do you change it out?  I’ve been wondering if more frequent changing may keep it easier to remove. 

3 hours ago, Skookum said:

For those of you using electrical tape, how often do you change it out?  I’ve been wondering if more frequent changing may keep it easier to remove. 

Only when it looks battered, but that varies with the area that I'm detecting.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:49 PM, geof_junk said:

Wrap it around the coil 2 times plus

I’ve always just done once. But, Geof has me hypothesizing maybe multiple wraps work better for eventual clean removal. How many times do you other guys wrap?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 11:56 PM, Skookum said:

I’ve always just done once. But, Geof has me hypothesizing maybe multiple wraps work better for eventual clean removal. How many times do you other guys wrap?

I generally only go two wraps, this gives me a time frame that once the tape is starting to look battered, it’s time to rotate my skid plate anyway.

• Like 1

Degreaser is probably the best material to remove tape residue and it won't harm the coil. Same stuff used for refurbishing heavy equipment- taking off all the decals. I've used it alot for work years ago when I sandblasted, painted and redecaled heavy equipment.