Nox Is Headed To Minelab, 4th Machine Since May Of 2018

Dan(NM)

Got in the water today for about 3 hours, did okay with a couple of James Avery medallion and a fancy silver ring. I was wading chest deep, so the Nox may have went down 4' max. Got home and unloaded everything and noticed my screen was foggy, upon closer inspection I could see water behind the screen. I bought this machine because my first 800's warranty expired, this one is a little over a year old.

This makes #4 that I've had problems with, 1st was a power button problem, 2nd was a battery(charging issue), 3rd machine took on water and now another leaker. I'm headed for a vacation this coming week and will be staying on the water for a few days. I'm glad I bought a Simplex as a backup, looks like I'm gonna need it. I'll run it til it dies and then contact Minelab

206858674_520730445791848_6015003008343095639_n.jpg

208892552_898506020872891_8115277530708862487_n.jpg

206759714_799188124130097_4098141988799494939_n.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Oh my! 7

1 hour ago, Dan(NM) said:

Got in the water today for about 3 hours, did okay with a couple of James Avery medallion and a fancy silver ring. I was wading chest deep, so the Nox may have went down 4' max. Got home and unloaded everything and noticed my screen was foggy, upon closer inspection I could see water behind the screen. I bought this machine because my first 800's warranty expired, this one is a little over a year old.

This makes #4 that I've had problems with, 1st was a power button problem, 2nd was a battery(charging issue), 3rd machine took on water and now another leaker. I'm headed for a vacation this coming week and will be staying on the water for a few days. I'm glad I bought a Simplex as a backup, looks like I'm gonna need it. I'll run it til it dies and then contact Minelab

206858674_520730445791848_6015003008343095639_n.jpg

208892552_898506020872891_8115277530708862487_n.jpg

206759714_799188124130097_4098141988799494939_n.jpg

Someone just had a fast turnaround on a wet machine. Don't WAIT!!  It is already compromised. 

• Like 4

Sorry about the leak. I had a 1 new one leak first time in the water. So far the one have now has no leaks. Hopefully the new minelabs will have better waterproofing.

Nice silver finds.

• Thanks 1

I got my machine back within a week  of sending it out.It was a month short of it's    third birthday so it still had the  warranty.   They gave me a  new coil plus a new control pod.I basically  got a  new machine plus a 1 year warranty on this new pod.I went in my test garden and it hit the silver better then my old machine which   I tested last month.It could be the new machine or the wetter ground  getting me the better performance.I found 4 silver coins and 12 wheats  at a old school we  hit before the  first time out with it.I got  9 nickels  and a 4.2 gram 14k gold ring today in the water.     The ring was deep and gave me a iffy hit.I ran f2-0 and  found about 15  bottle caps too.I hope you get your machine back fast  

• Like 2

yeah the minelab equinox is no longer waterproof after the warranty expires. water resistant? maybe, good luck.

As much as I like the Nox, and their warranty service, they really need to market it as waterproof on land, and not in water! That would be more of a "truth" in advertising! And maybe tweek the price!  JMO👍👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

As much as I like the Nox, and their warranty service, they really need to market it as waterproof on land, and not in water! That would be more of a "truth" in advertising! And maybe tweek the price!  JMO👍👍

Or change the spec to water resistant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll bet Minelab is regretting marketing the Equinox as a water hunting machine. I wonder what percentage have leaked since the beginning.

All I had to do was trip and fall once with mine and it broke it open enough that I could see the electronics inside. I imagine that just a slight tweak or bump of the control pod could easily pop the seal enough to make it leak and you would never know it until you enter the water. The Equinox is simply too fragile to be used for water hunting after the warranty is up.

• Like 2

This conversation has been beaten to death before! But I think needs a refresher every once in a while, so that hopefully🤞, the next iteration of the Nox is better aligned with it's actual abilities!

If you just look at the percentages of failures from ML's viewpoint, I suspect the failure rate, versus the sales numbers are extremely acceptable to them! And I'm not just talking about waterproofness, but overall failers! Now, will it hurt sales down the road??  I'm guessing that they are not overly concerned about it, unless someone challenges their domain, or sales markedly drop off! And even if that were to happen, they have a huge cushion of other models, to soften the blow!

Also, as long as their service remains consistant, they could always just extend their warranty on new models, to outdo any competition!👍👍

• Like 2

Short musical interlude!!! 🎹🎶🎶🎶 

For us-- Just "Roll With It" Baby! Steve Winwood!!

From ML-- Ain't I "Tuff Enuff"! The Fabulous Thunderbirds!!😂👍👍

• The title was changed to Nox Is Headed To Minelab, 4th Machine Since May Of 2018