Hi Folks

just Finished reading the detecting backpack thread with interest. Some great ideas presented there for people who will be detecting and camping out for a few days. My question relates to detecting harnesses that many of you use on day trips. What do you wear and how do you configure them? Now before we get started, I know that many of you hate wearing a harness and use other methods to hold your gear. I understand that and can relate to that but as a harness wearer, I’d be interested in what solutions people have come up with to hold a pick, scoop, phone, gps, enhancer, speakers, water, finds container, first aid kit, camera gear, food etc, etc, etc. I have always used the Minelab harness and found that it works well in most situations but it does lack storage space and I have run out of room. It would be great to see photographs, ideas, links etc as even one small idea could make a huge difference to harness “efficiency”. Looking forward to reading about some of your rigs.

cheers

Les

• Like 4

Simply use the Camel Back KUDU 20 with a hip stick, the carriage part complete with water bladder can be simply unzipped leaving just the harness with back protector for short detects. 

• Like 2

I have various configurations based on the mission. Battle belt with pick holster, tool pouch and 2 small attached molle pouches for small stuff. Then, either Camelbak Ambush or HAWG with 3L bladder and Hipstick attached. I love the HAWG but when temperatures push 40 deg C I don't want any backpack. 

• Like 5

I use primaraly a battle belt with molly pouches attached for everthing I need to carry or if I need a little more capacity or extra water I use a very compact backpack with a battle belt attached to distribute the weight of the 6l of water i sometimes need to carry.

The military molly system is definitly the way to go as it is totaly configurable to exactly what your needs are.

• Like 6

Hi Les,

I like the simple camel back with the double pouch on the bottom.  carries snake kit, basics and bladder holds water.  You could hang extra pouches off it too for your other extras.  Speakers are easily attached.

Cheers

Jack

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, there’s just been a lot on lately. The battle belt idea is what I was thinking of but what I was also considering was the option of modifying the standard harness to add a camelback arrangement using webbing and Velcro as it is one area that is not utilised at the moment. This would free up some space on the belt as this is where water is currently held. Will keep scratching my head and thinking about it for a while until a moment of brilliance hits. (This may take a while)

cheers

Les

• 3 weeks later...

This is my turkey strapping.

I also recently purchased a Hipstick, they've intrigued me for a while but seeing I don't even use my bungee and the only reason I ever use my harness is so I can use my SP01 and external speakers.   I mostly use smaller lighter coils on my GPZ like the 8" and 10" and the 8" only weighs 835 grams, although I've started using the 15" Concentric X-coil the most lately so with it's weight being 1200 grams which I think is just a bit lighter than the standard 14x13" coil from memory I decided I'd start using my bungee for all day swinging just to save wear and tear on my arm.

The hipstick surprised me, I thought I'd hate it as it's just another thing dangling and getting in the way but I think it's alright, not a bad little gadget.

I have two of the Tough Built pick holders on my harness, Thanks to Nenad for introducing these to me and pointing out the idea of having one on the back of the harness so you can put your pick there and keep it well out of the way when you're hiking around on hillsides and having a pick hanging down low near your feet can be a trip hazard as well as keeping the pick well away from your coil.  The one on the side in the traditional location is the one I use when I'm constantly digging, and I use the rear one when digging is infrequent or if I'm walking long distances.

I wired my speakers so there is very little cord slack, the wires are the lengths required to fit my layout with the Sp01 enhancer and WM12.

IMG_20210809_110254.jpg.3fa691c6da6ecbebe05a74dc22c86af2.jpg

It took me a long time to get my harness how I like it, I hated the thing for a very long time, I think I've now got it to a point I'm comfortable with it. 

IMG_20210809_110321.jpg.a4e4f0f17db1ac7ec7c8b4ecd6c540c9.jpg

This one shows the rear clip on pick holder, I really like this idea, thanks Nenad.

• Like 6

Looks like a childs car seat without the plastic seat part. Think it would take me about 2 hours to figure out how to put it on heheh.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, kac said:

Looks like a childs car seat without the plastic seat part. Think it would take me about 2 hours to figure out how to put it on heheh.

That's about how long the wife was laughing at me when she saw me wear it.

• Haha 5

Curious why no one has tried an over the shoulder counter balance system instead of all those bungie cords and harnesses.

• Like 1