Not A 1916d Should I Toss It Back?

8 hours ago, geof_junk said:

No! You should not throw it back!!! That is littering post it to me and I will dispose of it for you. :rolleyes:

That is very kind of you to take kac's common date merc, for proper disposal.   I've got tons of common date mercs too, so can I get your snail-mail address, to send these to you ?   thanx !   😘

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, kac said:

Difference is one I found is

So since it's one of the cheapies, I still think you should send it to Joe D so that when you look at it you won't worry about it not being one of the 1916d's.

Problem solved!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Everybody already called dibs !

Not me, I would rather have someone else to get it, since he didn't like the date on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can’t tell you how many 1916 S Mercs I have found here in so cal, but it’s dozens...and not a single “D”...😫.  But it sure does give you a great adrenaline rush when you see a 1916 date before turning it over to see the mintmark. 

Nice recovery of your teen and oldest Merc!! 👍🏼

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Raphis said:

I can’t tell you how many 1916 S Mercs I have found here in so cal, but it’s dozens...and not a single “D”...😫.  But it sure does give you a great adrenaline rush when you see a 1916 date before turning it over to see the mintmark.

When I get my Jefferson nickels back home and clean them up a bit, I start by looking at the reverse, RH side of the dome to see if there is a mintmark.  Two kinds exist here with no mintmark:  prior to 1965 these were from Philly with 'D' (Denver) and 'S' (San Francisco) being the others.  1965-67 there were no mintmarks on any coins, regardless of where they were minted.  In 1968 they started putting 'D' and 'S' on the obverse below the date.  In 1980 they added the 'P' for Philly, also below the date.

So when I see no mintmark on the reverse it doesn't tell me much.  When I see a 'D' I'm thinking (well, hoping) I turn it over and see a 1939 date -- my most sought after Jeffy.  (If 'S' I'm wishing for 1938.  No mintmark -- 1955.)  There are others, especially 1950-D, that would be quite pleasing.  I don't know how many times I've struck out with that ritual, but not even so much a ground-out yet.  (Apologies to those who don't know baseball lingo, but you can probably figure it out from context.)

Oh, the things we do to add excitment....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1