Deus And Orx With Quest Pro Pointer

I’m having huge interference from the Quest using it with both XP models .Changing frequency doesn’t  help .It is quiet with the Nox .Any help is welcomed .

Also here in Canada having good success with G’s Sonar programme on the Deus ,though one needs to be vigilant with crown caps as they ring high tone .Pull tabs barely make high tone so are mostly recognizable , at least for me in my conditions .

All I can suggest is removing your headphones while you pinpoint.  Otherwise, you might want to consider getting the XP wireless pinpointer.  BTW, are you using an x35 or an HF coil?  What part of the ID spectrum is the interference showing up (low numbers, high numbers, or random)?  The idea being you could notch out the offending target ID section, provided it is in a range where you usually find junk.  The alternative is to create a dummy custom program that essentially discs or notches out all target IDs and you can quickly w switch to it while pinpointing to effectively quickly mute your machine.  Just don't forget to switch back to your main search program after you are done using the Quest 😉

Unlike bottkecaps, I wouldn't ever expect pull tabs to come close to ringing high so I am not sure what you are driving at with your comment (does sonar help you differentiate pull tabs from legit non-ferrous targets in that range including gold rings?) But then again I don't recall exactly what settings are associated with "G's Sonar Program" other than he usually runs with no discrimination- of which I am not a fan of doing with a machine that provides both excellent ferrous disc as well as excellent iron audio (obviating any advantage whatsoever of running no disc with all the down sides including lack of horseshoe indicator stability and ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous target ID's).

Love Gary and his videos but this no disc thing (other than when running full tones because of lack of iron volume functionality in full tones) is where Gary and I philosophically disagree.  

That being said, if Sonar is working well for you, no sense in changing things on my account.

Wish I could come up with a better suggestion on the pinpointer issue.

• Like 2

Really appreciate your comments .It occurs all over the spectrum .Yoursuggestion about setting up a dummy programme appeals to me and I will try it .I am using the X35 ,11 inch coil which is normally relatively quiet .The bigger or more solid pull tabs are the ones that just make the high tone and they are mostly deep which act as an indicator for me with the sounds they make .Hardly ever use the horseshoe .Rely more on my ears for depth .The Orx is limited in scope and could do so much more with a few additions but probably would result in negative impact on Deus sales .I still like it as my back up and hoping (pipe dream ) for a few additions .

On 7/14/2021 at 5:57 AM, CanadianScouser said:

Hardly ever use the horseshoe .Rely more on my ears for depth .

I don’t use the horseshoe for depth either.  I use it because if the machine is set up properly, it is a pretty reliable indicator of the presence of a probable squeaker/deep non-ferrous target.  If you are just getting a sliver of a visual indicator of a target on the horseshoe and it stays on the non-ferrous side (rather than bouncing back and forth between ferrous and non-ferrous which would be typical of a falsing ferrous target) with no visual target ID but non-ferrous tone, then that is a dig me iffy signal.  If you run with disc less than 7 then even legit deep non-ferrous targets will jump back and forth because of the lack of stability due to insufficient applied discrimination.  

That’s one of the reasons it is best to run with disc + iron volume rather than running naked with zero or negative disc.  If you are not running full tones (which does not support iron audio), there is no real downside to running with a reasonable disc setting of 7 to 10 (no loss of depth or separation) while using iron volume and a lot of upside include the stability I just mentioned as well as limiting ferrous down averaging of adjacent non-ferrous targets.  

I actually like using pitch audio for the non-ferrous “tone” with iron volume for anything below my disc setting (usually set at 10).  That setup really makes the non-ferrous pop in relation to the ferrous (though because I am using variable pitch audio, I am more reliant on visual target ID factoring into my dig decision).  Works well for low non-ferrous trash sites like relic farm fields.  

For modern trash infested sites like parks, I like to use full tones and no disc because aluminum can slaw and bent pull tabs really stand out with distorted full tones in the mid range while nickels and gold ring (and unfortunately, pristine tabs) sound more “pure”.

Let us know if the dummy “mute” program helps with the pinpointer interference.  Good luck.

Does this instability from not running any applied Disc effect all VLF platforms or is it unique to XP? Same question regarding the down averaging caused by nearby ferrous.

1 hour ago, JCR said:

Does this instability from not running any applied Disc effect all VLF platforms or is it unique to XP? Same question regarding the down averaging caused by nearby ferrous.

The detector itself is stable without disc, it just affects how stable the horseshoe graphic display works.  The horseshoe graphic is unique to Deus and is a combination target depth indicator and iron probability/gross ferrous/non-ferrous target meter.

The way discrimination filtering is implemented across detector brands and even models within the same brand varies widely so it is hard to compare.  But suffice to say every implementation has its own quirks, benefits, and undesirable "side effects", especially if you attempt to apply too much disc filtering you can mask desirable targets and degrade detection depth.  So my points above are specific to the XP Deus/Orx implementation of dicrimination.

Equinox performance doesn't appear to be affected at all regardless of whether you are applying discrimination or not.  It almost seems to behave like an audio notch filter vs. a ferrous discriminator.  It doesn't appear to affect target ID blending at all.

• Like 2

Very good to know. Thanks for the explanation.