Why Can't We Have Aerodynamics Shafts And Coils For Water Hunters?

Coils with all edges round and coil thinner.

Shaft more aerodynamic like this maybe.

5.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Why Can't We Have Aerodynamics Shafts And Coils For Water Hunters?

Like the idea of thinner... less resistance. I'm working on a design and now testing. Reducing the amount of noise you get in rough waters or when you hunt right at the water line. And this is with the Minelab Excalibur. The amount of noise reduction has been amazing. It allows me to hunt right in the splash and extremely rough waters with little to no noise. So far having the machine at a different position, protected by my arm, when hunting (in one swing direction)...then removal of all, except one control knob seems to reduce the noise to less then 5%. Then with a shorter sweep of the coil, or coil control, it's almost silent. I do have a few more changes to do on the next go-round, which I have started building another machine. I want to run the coil cable inside of the shaft and make it a straight shot, coil to control pod. And the next coil has a new cable which is shielded. 

20210626.jpg

20210712_153033.jpg

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I have started building another machine. I want to run the coil cable inside of the shaft and make it a straight shot, coil to control pod. And the next coil has a new cable which is shielded. 

Hi Joe

I notice a repaired coil in the picture. Do you notice any improvement in noise reduction with this coil?  I have been doing some experimenting with the Equinox coil. 

Thanks Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

Coils with all edges round and coil thinner.

Shaft more aerodynamic like this maybe.

5.jpg

That cross section is much weaker than a circular X-section, FWIK.  Elliptical X-section might be a good compromise, but still probably extra and or different material would be required since elliptical isn't a strong as pure circular.  Still seems doable, though.  Maybe our resident shaft builder ( @steveg ) can weigh in (no pun intended :biggrin:).

• Like 2

I think an oval cross section would be easier to make, due to no sharp edges! But the one to ask is Steve G.! I'm sure he knows what shapes are doable in carbon fiber!

A triangle or round shaped silicone bumper could be adhered to the edges of a coil very inexpensively, that would make it hydrodynamic, and act as a bumper! It would also add some more weight to the coil!

Just off-the-cuff ideas!👍👍

I use a 1/4" 1/2 round on the coils I take in the water. It is removeable.

I tried it on and off and worked a lot better with it on.

coil.jpg

• Like 5

There is a shaft made for the Equinox, it's called the Stork Leg by Owl Engineering. It's carbon fiber and a lot thinner than most available. It's supposed to be great in water.

I considered it but Steve came out with camo. I had him put a hole on the shaft and it fills with water and equalizes, works good. Much better than the DetectEd shaft I bought.

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/owl-engineering-stork-leg-carbon-fiber-shaft-for-equinox-series

• Like 4

That is interesting. I haven't seen it before. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, midalake said:

Hi Joe

I notice a repaired coil in the picture. Do you notice any improvement in noise reduction with this coil?  I have been doing some experimenting with the Equinox coil. 

Thanks Dave

Dave, I'm not sure on that for I have done several different things at once to the machine. The one I am using now is pictured below. I have done several others over the years, for others, and no reports of more or less noise.

Below the repaired is .24  (4 lead) 20gauge cable....., the next round is .28 (4 lead) 18gauge shielded.

20210617_015752.jpg

• Like 1

That has to be hard with those small wires.