Why Can't We Have Aerodynamics Shafts And Coils For Water Hunters?

On 7/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Like the idea of thinner... less resistance. I'm working on a design and now testing. Reducing the amount of noise you get in rough waters or when you hunt right at the water line. And this is with the Minelab Excalibur. The amount of noise reduction has been amazing. It allows me to hunt right in the splash and extremely rough waters with little to no noise. So far having the machine at a different position, protected by my arm, when hunting (in one swing direction)...then removal of all, except one control knob seems to reduce the noise to less then 5%. Then with a shorter sweep of the coil, or coil control, it's almost silent. I do have a few more changes to do on the next go-round, which I have started building another machine. I want to run the coil cable inside of the shaft and make it a straight shot, coil to control pod. And the next coil has a new cable which is shielded. 

20210626.jpg

20210712_153033.jpg

Fascinating post, Joe.  You are never lacking for ingenuity.  I think the reason that companies like ML aren't developing products like this is simple: the creative development team guys don't hunt. 

• Like 2

Have spent many years fabricating equipment for aircraft and boats.Any round section has a very poor aerodynamic shape. The best shape is like an aircraft wing. I would imagine this shape could be produced in carbon fibre or extruded plastic and make a big difference on drag when used in the water.

• Like 2

That would be really great if someone made detector shafts like that. I could image how much smoother the sweeping in water would be. I sent drawing to Dilek to see if Nokta/Makro would make shafts like that. She said she would give it to her engineers. That was quite awhile ago. I don't think it will happen.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bill (S. CA) said:

Fascinating post, Joe.  You are never lacking for ingenuity.  I think the reason that companies like ML aren't developing products like this is simple: the creative development team guys don't hunt. 

Thank You, I fully agree and the same goes for Fisher.. other then Alexandra. You really have to be out there and experience, then be able to pull the machine a part and make changes. Seems like each time you go out you see something else that can be upgraded or reworked to be better.  And with this machine I've had it out about 6 times now and already see things I need to do.. In that time I have rebuild it twice.

• Like 1