Are Minelab Gpx-6000 Coils On Same Path As GPZ 7000 Coils?

1 minute ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Why, if they are so clever, don't they build their own detectors?šŸ¤” Kind of makes all these claims a mute point me thinks. I'm all for seeing more coil choices but seeing you guys come wriggling out of the wood work every time the subject of coilsĀ comes up claiming ethics and anticompetitive behaviour just plain smacks of hypocrisy!! It's MLs gig, suck it up cupcake. šŸ¤Ø

So Rick are you going to tell me where your latest patch is? It's anti-competitive if you don't going by your reasoning.Ā šŸ¤Ø

JP

Ā 

Jp, you are missing our point. We are only talking about aftermarket coils. Not detectors, not patches, or any other bl##dy thing.Ā šŸ™„Ā And for you to so flippantly dismiss our concernsĀ justĀ  smacks of arrogance on your behalf ! Wriggling out of the woodwork ? Are you kidding ? šŸ™„

Aftermarket items are available for just about any electronic equipment you care to name, but Minelab are trying to stifle the ability of others to make BETTER aftermarket coils for their electronics. And lets not forget, NF and Coiltek have always made SUPERIOR coils to Minelab, which improve theĀ performance of the Minelab detector.Ā  X Coils have also now done the same.

Rick

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, araratgold said:

Jp, you are missing our point. We are only talking about aftermarket coils. Not detectors, not patches, or any other bl##dy thing.Ā šŸ™„Ā And for you to so flippantly dismiss our concernsĀ justĀ  smacks of arrogance on your behalf ! Wriggling out of the woodwork ? Are you kidding ? šŸ™„

Aftermarket items are available for just about any electronic equipment you care to name, but Minelab are trying to stifle the ability of others to make BETTER aftermarket coils for their electronics. And lets not forget, NF and Coiltek have always made SUPERIOR coils to Minelab, which improve theĀ performance of the Minelab detector.Ā  X Coils have also now done the same.

Rick

Rick,Ā it's MLs call because it's their gig and they get to call the shots,Ā calling me arrogant because I'm telling you somethingĀ you don't want to hear isn't going to change that.šŸ˜³Ā šŸ¤ÆšŸ„µ

Maybe it could be because of past issues with out of spec coils that has cost them money or maybe it is just greed, we are all just guessing what drives their decisions, at the end of the day it's their call because it's there party.Ā 

JP

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, Chet said:

When will GPX 6000 17ā€ Mono Coils be available?

Will Minelab produce any other coils for the GPX 6000?

Good questions.Ā  Quite a few would like to know, myself included.

Ā 

5 hours ago, Chet said:

Minelab should provide the dealers and customers a reasonable path ahead for additional coils.

I do agree with this.Ā  As an end user, and if I was a shareholder, Minelab's public communication policy is confusing.Ā  Understandable that they keep upcoming products under wraps but I am not sure what the threat is in releasing details of a coil range for an already released product.Ā Ā Ā If anything, releasing the likely future coil sizes would deter aftermarket competitors.Ā  If Minelab plan to make an 8" coil for the GPX6 then it would seem likely that NF, Coiltek, etc would not want to replicate that and be trying to vie for the same piece of pie.Ā Ā 

Formal communication from Minelab re: current supply issues would also be nice.Ā 

Ā 

5 hours ago, Chet said:

If they donā€™t have a clear and timely path within the company then they should open the door for competitive coil manufactures to produce them.

From an end users perspective that would be great.Ā  But from a corporate and shareholder perspective there is very little benefit from what I can see.Ā  Minelab are a business, not a charity and although we may think that 'the customer is always' right and they should give us what we want, there are about $150 million in sales per year in Africa that would suggest the AfricansĀ are just fine with Minelab's customer service and product offerings.Ā Ā Ā  Ā 

They are no different to McDonalds/KFC/Hungry Jacks.Ā  Nutritionally those companiesĀ are doingĀ very few of their customers any favours and they are charging quite handsomely for it.Ā  Phillip Morris, Peter Jackson and whatever cigarette companies are in the States - they are doing the same.Ā  Ā 

Unfortunately it is the sad reality of big business.Ā Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

It like ML making a top-class car and putting an immobilizer in, that won't work if you buy another entrepreneur'sĀ wheels. So they can restrict competition, against their bottom line.

Ā 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Minelab can do whatever they want with their inventions. Itā€™s called capitalism notĀ communism. At least thatā€™s how itā€™s done in this country. Ā If they donā€™t think theyā€™re getting enough money out of their consumers theyā€™ll change their marketing and how their products are made. Donā€™t like it? Donā€™t buy it.

• Like 4

I would tend to think that locking the coils down with the chips not only protects their detectors but also protects them financially. If you messed up your detector before by putting some cheap(or maybe not cheap) coil on your detector and it screws up the detector, you send it in and its covered under warranty and ML covers the cost because they have no way in proving that you didn't put an aftermarket coil on. Its not like they are making more money by only allowing their coils to go on the detector because they only offer 3 coils currently and it comes stock with 2 of them. Seems logical to me (as a mechanical engineer, so what do I know) that would protect your products however you can. Just about all major companies are making it harder to put aftermarket products on. Try putting an aftermarket stereo in a newer car, almost impossible.Ā 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, geof_junk said:

It might be a good idea for ML to put a chip in their earphones. The way companies think is beyond a fair go.

Why don't you give it a rest Geof, you're just dangling bait in the water to see what bites. šŸ™

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geof_junk said:

It might be a good idea for ML to put a chip in their earphones. The way companies think is beyond a fair go.

Apple basically did that with their phones. šŸ˜‚. That is if you wanna use corded earbudsĀ 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

The 6000 is barely released and people are already disgruntled?Ā šŸ˜£šŸ˜³ Ā Manufacturing enough of them is the current dilemma and like it or not COVID is having a huge impact on that closely followed by componentĀ shortages. The 17ā€ elliptical mono is a standard coil in the African pack out, that market is huge so it should beĀ no surprise thatĀ that specific coil is not yet available in our markets. šŸ˜ÆĀ 

I do not speak for ML but do know the GPZ 7000Ā and GPX 6000 are very tight tolerance ultra specific electronic designs, especially the GPX 6000.

Ā 

Ā 

I am with JP on this subject. The 6000 has barely been released and used by some lucky few including me and complaints about future coilsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ How long did it take for Minelab/NuggetĀ Finder to release the new GPZ 7000Ā coils no matter how much GPZ dealers, owners and even non-ownersĀ complained?

So far, I couldnā€™t be happier with the stock 11ā€ mono and 14ā€ DD coils and especially the outstanding ergonomics and sensitivity ofĀ the GPX 6000. The 11ā€ mono is just about the perfect coil for my mountain goat terrain detecting areas. I am still learning to work with the EMI/unstable thresholdĀ situation. Ā  Ā Coil choices are way down near the bottom of my list of GPX 6000 improvementsĀ right now.

• Like 4