Are Ctx-3030 Waterproof Headphones Compatible With Simplex?

I scored a Simplex with wireless headphones over the weekend and one of the things I do when I get something technological that unnecessarily uses or attempts to use proprietary connections for common accessories is I immediately begin thinking about how to adapt it to what I already have for use. I did this for example when there were not yet waterproof headphones available for the Equinox. Then it hit me. The CTX-3030 uses the same 8 pin mini din for its waterproof headphones as Nokta Makro is now using, so I already have a $160 pair of Grey Ghost underwater headphones with 8 pin connector. But making an adapter for the equinox is not apples to apples when contemplating whether to plug those Grey Ghosts in the Simplex. With the equinox it was a simple threaded 1/8 jack adapter conversion and the port on the equinox is exclusively audio, so nothing to mess up. The Simplex has a bit more going on with its headphone port, which can also connect to power, and updates I believe as I sit here. Also who is to say the audio connections are on the exact same pins. The pattern could theoretically be different, I think. So I’m wondering if any other CTX/Nokta-Makro owners have noticed this and tried it already? It’s really more of a technical and annoyance issue with me than saving $109 for the proprietary set. By now, headphones, chargers etc should all be pretty standard absent something really special going on, but that is in part how companies make more money (and e-waste)selling you things you already bought and wouldn’t need to buy again if they didn’t go out of their way to make it incompatible with others or standard accessory connections. I don’t hate the players. I don’t even hate the game. It’s kind of a challenge to find a way to overcome it where it’s safe to do so. 

Believe me I generally share your frustration with lack of accessory standardization with MD gear.  But in this case the connector is destined to be proprietary for the very reasons you just stated - first of all, they use a waterproof connector which is the first complicating factor (Garrett, ML, First Texas also have their own proprietary waterproof audio connectors) then add in data and 5VDC charging via the same jack and of course standardization goes out the window.  So this is less about steering customers to proprietary accessories vs. trying to pack a lot of functionality into a single connector.  At least Nokta strives for standardization across product lines in this regard which is more than I can say for ML or First Texas.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

That's a no--different wiring. 

cjc