Detecting Under Ski Lifts

Did the girl claim her phone? the suspense is killing me.. 😳  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Did the girl claim her phone? the suspense is killing me.. 😳  

Nope, my wife left a message on her phone number we found on her works website, no reply to it.  She also sent an email to her works Email address and again no reply.  The other side to that is Auckland where she lives is in a Covid lockdown for another week so perhaps when they're out of the lockdown she'll get the messages.   I don't know exactly how the messaging system on Facebook works but she sent her a message on there too but my wife thinks her security settings prevented her seeing it as she still hasn't seen it.

when she finally claims her phone (i'm sure she will, all that digging wasn't for the fun of it), you'll have to let her know the detecting world has closely followed the story.. it would make a great documentary, or even a Hollywood blockbuster.. please keep us posted..    

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 12:05 AM, phrunt said:

It's a lot steeper than it looks....

Conjured up this image in my mind:

Rock-Climbing.thumb.jpg.d444adf2b0a1b72e0bfc2b90d9a79d6f.jpg

On 11/20/2021 at 12:05 AM, phrunt said:

The Nugget Finder solid skid plate was awesome on the 11" coil

This is the first I've heard of this 3rd party aftermarket option.  Is it actually made for the Eqx or for another model's coil and just happened to fit?  Do they make them for the 6" round, also?

Excellent report -- gives a very good view of what you (and she) were dealing with.  How about chronicling another Cointopia adventure next?  Seems like a couple years since you made one of those jaunts (maybe the pandemic prevented you going there last summer)?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

This is the first I've heard of this 3rd party aftermarket option.  Is it actually made for the Eqx or for another model's coil and just happened to fit?  Do they make them for the 6" round, also?

Excellent report -- gives a very good view of what you (and she) were dealing with.  How about chronicling another Cointopia adventure next?  Seems like a couple years since you made one of those jaunts (maybe the pandemic prevented you going there last summer)?

I did a post on the NF 11" Skid plate when I first got it, sadly they don't make one for the 6", I wish they did as it's all it needs really.

The pandemic hasn't stopped me from anything as we've rarely had any restrictions here, about 6 weeks of restrictions in the past couple of years and even then I could have still done my detecting in my local area.   I've still been at it with my coin hunts, just not put posts up about them, mostly using the CTX now with the 17" coil  and loving it for deep silvers. 

Here's the post on the NF skid plate, well worth the investment if you can get one in the USA, even if all you do is detect in longer grass its useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:00 PM, phrunt said:

Here's the post on the NF skid plate, well worth the investment if you can get one in the USA, even if all you do is detect in longer grass its useful.

A quick Google search plus a look at both Ebay and Serious_Detecting's website struck out, other than a couple mentions (one of which had a for sale sign @ $34 which I assumed was in AUD) on Aussie websites.  I guess most of us are just stuck rolling our own....  Simon, for once you got something there in remote NZ that we in the real world couldn't get.  😏

• Like 1

Yup, I live in a fantasy land, I often think it's too good to be true 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:40 PM, phrunt said:

Nope, my wife left a message on her phone number we found on her works website, no reply to it. 

She was a CCP spy, and the SIM card on the phone contains sensitive information about Australia’s anti-submarine capabilities. She snuck off to NZ for a bit of skiing during her mission, but lost the phone (hence her desperate attempt to detect it), and has since been terminated with severe prejudice.

Chinese Ministry of State Security bots are currently scraping the internet for clues as to the whereabouts of the missing phone. PLA SpecOp teams are on standby as soon as the latest COVID travel restrictions are lifted.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

He is a little feel good story from NZ TV that's on in prime time of a guy that had more success than I've had in returning a lost item, he found a wallet that was lost 32 years ago at the beach and managed to track down the owner of it and send it back.

The TV show contacted him about appearing in it but he didn't want to, he wanted to lay low as he's not the kind of person to want to go onto TV but was happy for them to go ahead with the story for some good publicity of metal detectorists. 

At this point for my phone find for the girl at the ski field I'm about to give up and hand it into the police, I just know doing that she's not likely to ever get it back as my understanding is she'd have to contact them saying it's lost which is very unlikely now it's been months since she lost it... I'll talk to them and see what they say I guess... all attempts to contact her have had no response.

• Like 4