Detecting Under Ski Lifts

Why not contact the same TV station and have them track her down for you, as it would only take a phone call or even an email.

Seems as though they would be willing to jump at the chance to be involved in getting it returned for the story.

Good luck.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Why not contact the same TV station and have them track her down for you, as it would only take a phone call or even an email.

Seems as though they would be willing to jump at the chance to be involved in getting it returned for the story.

Good luck.

that's actually a good idea but I'd be even less likely to go on TV than the guy that found the wallet 🙂 I'd hate it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Why not contact the same TV station and have them track her down for you

Valens Legacy you're a living legend! That's a great idea.. Phrunt, it could be worth a go.. you've got some great pictures and the whole story line is already like a movie, all the TV station has to do is find her.. 😁 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'd hate it!

Never said you had to go on TV. However if they insisted that you do make sure that they only film you from behind detecting a field or park.

What do you have to lose, and what would the woman have to gain?

Good luck on your decision.

• Like 2

Apology if you already answered my question (within the last week...).  If so may I play the 'senior moment' card?

Did you inquire at the ski area office?

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Apology if you already answered my question (within the last week...).  If so may I play the 'senior moment' card?

Did you inquire at the ski area office?

It's almost summer, they're closed for the season.  Only people that are available to talk to now are the web sales people selling passes for next season.

I'm not so sure about the TV Show thing, I'll marinate on it.  She might just be off work and not getting the stuff as shes not checking work emails while off work.  I'll give it another week or so before taking any next steps 🙂

My metal detector eyes found a ring over winter sitting in the snow near the tables at a restaurant there, I guess someone took their ski gloves off and the ring went with it, my wife encouraged me to hand it into the lost and found people at the ski field.   They didn't seem overly trustworthy and I watched and even 10 minutes after we handed it in the person hadn't taken it out the back where the lost stuff goes, they'd kept it in their hand or something so that ring is probably theirs now.    Most the employees are backpackers from overseas or people that want the never ending winter and move between northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere ski fields for work and play in one.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, phrunt said:

She might just be off work and not getting the stuff as shes not checking work emails while off work.  I'll give it another week or so before taking any next steps 🙂

IMO, she's more likely to get it back if you hang onto it 'forever' than turn it in to 'authorities'.  You care that it gets returned to her.  Do they???  I suspect you and your wife have already done more than any of those supposed honest paid officials would have ever done.  Even the perfectly honest ones have many responsibilities and hunting down the true owners of lost items isn't likely close to the top -- far from it.

Sometimes I feel guilty not trusting people, but cons (even if they only represent a few percent of the population) are very good at working their way into positions where they can make the most of their 'craft'.  And the slickest ones are often the best at convincing people they come into contact with that they are squeeky clean and only have the best interests of others in mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's almost summer, they're closed for the season.  Only people that are available to talk to now are the web sales people selling passes for next season.

I'm not so sure about the TV Show thing, I'll marinate on it.  She might just be off work and not getting the stuff as shes not checking work emails while off work.  I'll give it another week or so before taking any next steps 🙂

My metal detector eyes found a ring over winter sitting in the snow near the tables at a restaurant there, I guess someone took their ski gloves off and the ring went with it, my wife encouraged me to hand it into the lost and found people at the ski field.   They didn't seem overly trustworthy and I watched and even 10 minutes after we handed it in the person hadn't taken it out the back where the lost stuff goes, they'd kept it in their hand or something so that ring is probably theirs now.    Most the employees are backpackers from overseas or people that want the never ending winter and move between northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere ski fields for work and play in one.

I had the same experience turning in a gold ring that I found. Guaranteed the lady kept it for herself and never even put it into the lost and found.

Learned my lesson and now when I find something I leave my name and phone number and if the person that lost it comes looking they can call me and describe what they lost. If they can do that I'll give it back to them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, matt said:

Learned my lesson and now when I find something I leave my name and phone number and if the person that lost it comes looking they can call me and describe what they lost. If they can do that I'll give it back to them.

That's a good idea, I should have done it that way.

• Like 2

Another story hit the media in NZ about a guy with his Nox finding a gold medal that was lost 60 years ago at the beach and was found and returned to the owners family.   It's great to see these positive metal detecting stories hitting our media as metal detecting here is such an unknown obscure hobby although TV shows like Aussie Gold Hunters have now hit our free to air TV channels so that will cause some awareness of what these beeping noisy sticks are.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/127163756/shooting-medal-discovered-on-south-canterbury-beach-more-than-60-years-after-being-lost?cid=app-iPhone

My phones aren't near as good as these stories.  I found what I believe is the owner of one of the phones although that phone is dead and has no memory card in it, not the ski girl yet, still waiting to see if she'll reply to Facebook or email messages, not looking promising which is pretty weird.  Maybe she no longer works there, and her facebook settings are hiding the messages from her.  My wife thinks she can contact someone on her freinds list and find someone that responds then get them to tell her.  We'll see how that goes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1