Detecting Under Ski Lifts

On 7/13/2021 at 4:11 AM, phrunt said:

She left her helmet and goggles on all day, probably to hide her face as she was embarrassed by it all.

Proly worried about being struck in the head by a falling cell phone  : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know what's going on but the past could of weeks Detectorists have been getting a real marketing blitz for the good of detecting, now another story has surfaced in our National news paper about a guy recovering a womans lost wedding rings in the ocean while swimming.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/whangarei-woman-overwhelmed-as-wedding-rings-lost-in-the-sea-found-and-returned/JROPDHCSJWTIN6XSJZEB3NR4PU/

I find this stuff great, anything to give our hobby a better name as it does get tarnished by people doing the wrong thing.

Still no word from the girl who lost her phone skiing though so my good deeds not working out so far 😞

• Like 2

You went above and beyond to find her phone. Even if she never finds out, you did more than most to find it and try to get it back to her. Maybe someday you'll make contact, but you should feel great that you remembered where she was frantically looking for her phone, you went back there months later, climbed up to where it was lost, and you actually found it! That counts in my book. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still believe that you should contact the news to get more help in finding the owner. She may have stopped looking at her Face Book account and has no idea that you have tried to contact her. The news people may go by her home to ask her in person about the phone.

Good luck and don't give up because it will turn out for the best.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:14 AM, phrunt said:

Still no word from the girl who lost her phone

Did it come to life when dried put and charged?   

8 hours ago, Northeast said:

Did it come to life when dried put and charged?   

Yes, it works but passworded.  I put it in a bag with some of them moisture pads and sucked the moisture out of it for a couple of weeks then charged it up and it fires up fine.

They say around here the lake water is so pure it doesn't damage electronic equipment dropped into it, you just dry it out and it's fine, and this has proven to be the case many times, even my Gold Monster has been for a swim in the creek when I fell over ;), it worked fine afterwards I just popped the hood to let the water out and waited a few days before using it again.  My brother in law from UK came over with his 3000 pound video camera and we went out in a kayak and he dropped it in the water while filming, jumped in and recovered it, I told him to turn it off, it was still running 🙂 He turned it off and we just left it in the hot car for the day, got home and put it in a plastic bag in the sun to draw out moisture for about 4 days then turned it on, working fine.    When you go on tourism activities like Jet boat rides they tell you about the water not damaging electronics.  I would guess the snow is so pure also, very little pollution in the air and we're a long way from the countries causing pollution.

This guy does some video experiments on pure water and electronics, pretty cool video to watch to see.

The water is crazy clear though, even when very deep you see the bottom fine, great for spotting fish.

37788458_lakewater.thumb.jpg.0275ec2cba52cae918bd7bb1715d8a62.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

The water is crazy clear though, even when very deep you see the bottom fine, great for spotting fish.

You live in paradise, man! Crystal clear water, mild soil, gold around, what else do you need 😍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

You live in paradise, man! Crystal clear water, mild soil, gold around, what else do you need 😍

Bigger Gold? 🙂 In all seriousness I love where I live.  Came here for a holiday then decided I don't want to leave, within 12 months of that holiday I was living here.

• Like 6