Detecting Under Ski Lifts

Wow she gets an A for effort there. I would have been to curious so I would have stopped and ask what she was looking for...it seems pointless in that deep of snow but anything is possible...at least you know where to go once the snow melts. I live in N California and there are plenty of ski lifts here. Been planning on getting under them for some time now but never get past the planning stage lol. 

Strick

• Like 6

I think you did the right thing! Using some unknown and probably inferior detector would have been a pointless endeavor! And besides, judging from the shadow, it look's like you were enjoying time with the family! That's more important!!

Good on you, for a possible next day hunt with equipment you know and trust! Better to not have her around anyway, to avoid a thousand questions; to distraction! And possibly more disappointment, from her and others, probably burying it deeper with their efforts!😵 And who know's if that is even where it was lost? May have been a guess on her part!! Just finding out what was lost, and returning it if possible, is sufficiently kind of you!! 

Good luck!🍀 On and off the slopes!👍👍

• Like 5

It looks like she has had a major loss. Hope you can help her tomorrow Simon. Some of my best finds were for those that I helped to get back their lost treasures.

• Like 9

Well Simon, you know out here in the mountains we have a saying No friends on a powder day! I have hunted at a ski area and it was not to productive, lots of runoff making for swamp conditions, and the walk gets pretty steep fast. Hope you can get her some help, or good luck in the off season.  ht

• Like 5

I've hunted many years at Southern California ski lifts.  They don't let you get on the slopes with a detector until the snow melts there.  Employees usually have the first shot at it anyway.  I always came back with more than $20.00 US dollars at a time.  Some jewelery even stuck in the branches of small bushes that the snow covered and when it melted the bush caught it. Ya, ya should have gone by and talked to her.  At least in her mind someone would had her back in the melt season and you would have had a contact number.  I just don't trust turning things in to unknowns as a third party.  Great looking place!!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 7

Probably better off checking the slope after the snow melts. Wonder if she was in the wrong spot in the first place.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I just don't trust turning things in to unknowns as a third party.  Great looking place!!!  Ga

Good point Gary, 

I feel the same way!  I'm sure she left contact info, if she did not find whatever it was she was looking for!

Simon, you could have just beaned her with a snowball, or empty soda bottle, with your contact info stuffed inside! She was wearing a helmet, after all!! ⛷⛑🤣👍👍 

** (just kidding guys!)

• Haha 3

I went back today, she wasn't there, I guess she's given up.  I'll see how I go in late spring when the snows melted a bit and not so deep and try find whatever it was.  It's snowing tonight so whatever it was will be even deeper by tomorrow.

This is the lift it's under, unfortunately it's a long way to the base so I'm going to have a fair hike in summer to get to the spot.

IMG_20210713_100531.thumb.jpg.811de9a03757878d3be8f02ae3b98a29.jpg

• Like 4