Nox Leak Source?

TedinVT

Credit to Gigmaster for his latest video identifying a good bet for the source of the control pod leaks.  Very interesting. 

While I'm at it, Gigmaster recently did a video on how he is repairing and reinforcing the Nox coil ears.  I had both coil ears fail last year and had the coil replaced under warranty.  Now that my warranty expired in Feb. I figured I'd give Gig's ABS plastic reinforcing mod a try.  I used 1/8” ABS (I wouldn't recommend anything thicker) and Gorilla Weld 2 part epoxy like Gig used.  It went very well and is rock solid.

• Like 2

The battery compartment has always been my number one suspected weak-point for water leakage. Glad to see that Gigmaster confirmed this especially on control pods that have been installed on aftermarket shafts. 

6 hours ago, TedinVT said:

Credit to Gigmaster for his latest video identifying a good bet for the source of the control pod leaks.

Would you have a link to the video?

Both of my machines that leaked, were on aftermarket shafts. I'm going to call the repair center after they have a chance to look at mine to see if they determined where it leaked.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:24 AM, rvpopeye said:

I noticed  this spring that the bolts for the pod were kinda loose on mine ,so I snugged them up. 

Hope it wasn't too much !!!??????????🧐

About a year ago I was water hunting and the Nox pod separated completely from the 4 bolts. When it happened all I had was the one main control pod in my hand. Sent it into ML under warranty and they asked if the rod I was using was original or an aftermarket. I knew exactly where this could go and I told them it was aftermarket. They thought that I overtightened it and not being the original shaft warranty was not covered. I explained there was a lot of corrosion on the bolts and the torque on the unit being used 90% of the time in salt water, caused the problem. I think by being honest with them about the shaft, they said OK and replaced the complete pod. Everything has been good. 

• Like 1

I spoke with one of the repair tech's at the Minelab repair center. First, they are waiting on pods to arrive and couldn't give me a time frame when I was going to get mine back, because the manager wasn't in. Currently, there are 5 of us waiting on replacements.  I asked him about the problem with the leaking issue. 

3 of the problems are with the battery compartment. One was the o-rings, second was the actual screw that held the battery door shut, cracking issue and 3rd was the one way bladder. Apparently the one way valve wasn't glued into place properly and was, from what I could gather, the hot spot when it came to water intrusion. 

It sounded like there were quite a few failures with the replacement pods when they did the pressure test before sending them to the customer.

I forgot to ask about the brass inserts, if that was an issue or not, he never brought it up either.

I'm calling back on Monday to see if I can talk to someone who knows when the shipment is suppose to arrive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1