GPX 6000 For Coin And Relic Hunting

4 hours ago, strick said:

I'm curious about the brass beads and what they look like....I was going to buy some on line (not authentic) for a necklace I was going to make some day 🙂

strick

I am curious as well. Found some myself.

• Like 1

So, the maiden voyage for the GPX 6000 is in the history books. The village area hunted is a semi moist undisturbed dirt that has a lot of larger boulders laying around. Typical New England land that the farmer would consider semi undesirable. Kind of low lying and near a source of water. It tends to not detect tiny targets well, hence the reason for trying the 6000 out. Initial thoughts?? I decided to try the 14DD coil there because of the moderate EMI in that area. Running that option on the machine, it handled it fairly well but no better than the 5000 does. I also found I have to noise cancel way more than I do with the 5000. So that was kind of a surprise. The machine seemed to do better as time went on. I think the tubes just need to burn hot for a while  😆 Seriously, once it had a couple of hours running, it started to hit all the targets I would hope it would. WARNING: The following pictures are NOT eye candy and will not be enough to make you get off the couch. No silver or gold, but for some reason the archaeologists love these items. The machine’s weight was a nice gift, as I am used to lugging that heavy 5000 around. Not being tethered to the machine was also a nice feeling. The muddy sounding headphones will have to go though. Just do not like the sound of them. So, final thoughts on hunt #1 is that the 6000 did very well and I was surprised on how many targets it found in one particular area. This is a target rich section that I have cleansed 3 different times with the 5000. I must have pulled 8 different pieces of brass from just that one section. If it had just found 1 target, I would be impressed. 8 quality targets and I am really impressed. Not quite sure if it will go as deep as the 5000, but it sure hits better on tiny, thin brass targets. So pictured are just a couple of the 30 or so targets I found today. I think I’m going back tomorrow and see if the 11” mono coil will work in that dirt. All in all, I did better than I thought I would on the first hunt.

P1010001.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

• Like 8

I don't remember if you said you ever tried an Equinox on that site, but it should also find those tiny targets! I know it's found me some very small copper and brass on the beaches!

Thanks for the info and finds!👍👍

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I don't remember if you said you ever tried an Equinox on that site, but it should also find those tiny targets! I know it's found me some very small copper and brass on the beaches!

Thanks for the info and finds!👍👍

I did try the EQ 800 there in gold mode. The EQ doesn't not like that soil very much and didn't perform as well as I expected. Originally, when targets were plentiful it would hit the shot gun shells easily but struggled on 22's and 22 casings. So the small brass scraps buried a bit deeper were not heard by the EQ or any other non PI except that an XP Deus hit on some of them. This area is PI country and even that struggled. I tried the GPX 6000 there again today again this time with a mono coil. It found me another 30ish targets with about half of those as solid keepers. I'm going to give my opinion on that 11" coil soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, today was hunt #2 with the GPX 6000 at the Native village site. I wanted to try the 11” mono coil out for the whole day, as I tried the 14” coil all day yesterday. I have never done that well with EMI and mono coils on the 5000, so I was not expecting much. I actually expected that the coil would react to the ground and sound off falsing a lot. I also expected the coil to get a lot of EMI. Neither of those things happened. It actually handled the ground noise very well with just a bit of end of swing falsing. It handled the EMI very well, as I did not have to noise cancel much. It actually did better than the 14DD coil which was designed to do both of those things. I’m a little disappointed in the 14” coil. So, to my shock, the 11 did exceptionally well today covering the area that the 14 did yesterday. I entered that small section, moved a couple of feet, and hit two side by side targets. Probably pulled a dozen plus quality targets from that small section. Not a lot of pictures today because I keep forgetting to pull the camera out. Once I get going, I do not like to stop, hence the reason I do not do videos. So, the 11” coil is a keeper. It responds hot like the 5000’s coils do. It actually picks up my headphones when I dig and hates my pin pointer whether it is on or off. Very sensitive. Great second day for a new machine. I can’t wait to get the 17” mono coil for the beaches.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

• Like 8

Do you have a few pics of some of those cleaned up? So we can see what they looked like originally? Thanks!

And I'm glad the new detector is working well for you! Keep up the good work!🍀👍👍

• Like 4

Due the location of the battery pack, have you tried to see the difference of balance with the batteries "on and off" with the different coils on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

So, today was hunt #2 with the GPX 6000 at the Native village site. I wanted to try the 11” mono coil out for the whole day, as I tried the 14” coil all day yesterday. I have never done that well with EMI and mono coils on the 5000, so I was not expecting much. I actually expected that the coil would react to the ground and sound off falsing a lot. I also expected the coil to get a lot of EMI. Neither of those things happened....

What about the iron trash ? Did you dig a lot of them ? thx

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Do you have a few pics of some of those cleaned up? So we can see what they looked like originally? Thanks!

And I'm glad the new detector is working well for you! Keep up the good work!🍀👍👍

Sorry, no pictures cleaned up. It may take months for the lab to get to those. They clean things differently than we do 😄 Just think of a brand new sheet of brass cut into strips and then rounded over to have the ends meet or overlap. Extremely crude in that respect since it's the year 1637. They would have probably went to part of a breast plate with lots of them in all sizes. The longest ones we found were probably around 5-6". The ones I found pictured were around 1/4" - 3/8" long.

8 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Due the location of the battery pack, have you tried to see the difference of balance with the batteries "on and off" with the different coils on.

I haven't tried it without the battery attached to see if the balance point changes. I can say that the 11" coil feels well balanced and I could swing it all day. But then again, I'm used to the 5000 with a 12.5" coil, so anything else seems light. The 14DD, if I remember correctly, does feel a bit nose heavy.  So far I like the concept of a 14" DD, but not quite sure I like the results. I feel the 14 looses some sensitivity and just reacts odd. The 11" coil went over the same spot (literally the exact same spot) as the 14DD and  it hit two targets side by side.  So that caught my attention. I 'm thinking the DD coil just doesn't hit as hard as the mono coil does. But I've only used the machine twice, so this is just some off the cuff observations. Also the battery and wireless headphones last at least 6 hours and only lost one bar in that time. I haven't used the machine longer than 6 hours yet.

5 hours ago, palzynski said:

What about the iron trash ? Did you dig a lot of them ? thx

You will dig a lot of iron. It responds to iron very well. I tested it out in my yard and it screams on iron. Luckily for me this village is secluded and there is very little iron there. Only a couple of knife blades were found there. Other than that, there was no colonial iron trash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They call 'em "tinklers". Guess they make noise when freshly made. I was thinking bead beads. 😀 Rolled up brass. Great stuff. Might have found a few of those as well. Lots of Indian activity where I hunt at home.

• Like 1