GPX 6000 For Coin And Relic Hunting

38 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

They call 'em "tinklers". Guess they make noise when freshly made. I was thinkingย bead beads. ๐Ÿ˜€ Rolled up brass. Great stuff. Might have found a few of those as well. Lots of Indian activity where I hunt at home.

Most tinklers I have seen are conical in shape and yes they were made to make noise. These are actually long beads. The shorter version is about 1/8" long. They of course also traded for glass beads which they find occasionally when they dig test pits for non metallic items (bone, pottery, glass, etc...) A lot of the brass I found was in the shell middens.ย  If you dig and find a concentration of partially decomposed shell, you may be right next to a place where the wigwam stood. Surprising that shells from 1637 can still be in very decent shape

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Most tinklers I have seen are conical in shape and yes they were made to make noise. These are actually long beads. The shorter version is about 1/8" long. They of course also traded for glass beads which they find occasionally when they dig test pits for non metallic items (bone, pottery, glass, etc...) A lot of the brass I found was in the shell middens.ย  If you dig and find a concentration of partially decomposed shell, you may be right next to a place where the wigwam stood. Surprising that shells from 1637 can still be in very decent shape

Ha, I took a shot at it, thanks for the correction. ๐Ÿ™‚ Much to know.

I do find lots of areas where there are high concentrations of oyster shells in my farms. So many in spots it's hard to dig. Since I'm 60 feet or more above the river, they have to have been transported and buried there. From experience oyster shells can stink!

I'll be looking for this in the fall now, maybe there will be some sifting to do. Thanks for the info! ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Ha, I took a shot at it, thanks for the correction. ๐Ÿ™‚ Much to know.

I do find lots of areas where there are high concentrations of oyster shells in my farms. So many in spots it's hard to dig. Since I'm 60 feet or more above the river, they have to have been transported and buried there. From experience oyster shells can stink!

I'll be looking for this in the fall now, maybe there will be some sifting to do. Thanks for the info! ๐Ÿ‘

Sound like a very interesting site. It may be a site that was occupied for a very long time. It also may be something else, since the quantity of shell is large. I would detect all around that area and inside the shell heaps too. What you find detecting should lead you into the right direction on what is going on there. If it's Native, the shell middens should have all kind of animal bones, broken pottery, probably flakes and stone points, and possibly brass scrap. All depends on how old or how modern the site is. Who knows you may be sitting on a village or trading post! ๐Ÿ˜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Sound like a very interesting site. It may be a site that was occupied for a very long time. It also may be something else, since the quantity of shell is large. I would detect all around that area and inside the shell heaps too. What you find detecting should lead you into the right direction on what is going on there. If it's Native, the shell middens should have all kind of animal bones, broken pottery, probably flakes and stone points, and possibly brass scrap. All depends on how old or how modern the site is. Who knows you may be sitting on a village or trading post! ๐Ÿ˜

I've been told by the previous owner of this land that the deep ravine right next to my house may be "very interesting". She said when she was a kid she found lots of stuff in there.

I don't want to disturb it, the karma enough is overwhelming. It's also full of snakes. ๐Ÿ˜€ However, the fields are fair game.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I've been told by the previous owner of this land that the deep ravine right next to my house may be "very interesting". She said when she was a kid she found lots of stuff in there.

I don't want to disturb it, the karma enough is overwhelming. It's also full of snakes. ๐Ÿ˜€ However, the fields are fair game.

That all sounds good. Hit that ravine, you only live once ๐Ÿ˜„ The fields are your best bet.

• Like 2

ย  ย I have yet to see a snake that can outrun my shovel, if he gets to close! Or my shotgun, or my 22 snake shot! But, i don't go out of my way to get rid of them! They serve aย purpose! Just have to be mindful of their hiding places, when exploring!๐Ÿย 

Now ticks, knats, horseflies,ย mosquitos, noseeums!ย No use at all!๐Ÿคฌย ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I have yet to see a snake that can outrun my shovel, if he gets to close! Or my shotgun, or my 22 snake shot!

Once while digging in to some mullock heaps and throwing into one of the hole that was full of water after a heavy down pour (normally not much rain falls in part of the State). My mate was working the pond with a small 3"ย hand dredge. When I was a couple of feet deep, I dug into a snake hole and cut the snake into 3 pieces. Not noticing this I threw the dirt and snake in close for my mate to put it through the dredge. Not funny but I have never seen him move so fast.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to GPX 6000 For Coin And Relic Hunting