Ne Nevada 1st Time Ghost Town Detecting (long)

I can see why this took a while to get together, that must have been a blast, regardless of the lack of coins. Great old jewelry.

The embossed Ford item in your second photo is a model T hubcap - the very one I used for my avatar. No idea what the second one is.

I'd say that was a really successful trip. 👍 Great story and history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As much hunting as I have done in nearly 40 years of detecting, I have never hunted a bonafide ghost town site (and never hunted in NV or AZ before). Go figure.  Thanks for sharing your trip out West with us.  👍🏼

• Like 1

Well, GB_Amateur, you gave us all a nice write-up of another eventful and fun WTHO.  I'm pleased that you, your sister and several others were able to make this recent Welcome-to-Hunt Outing.  A  you noted, it was our 13th Outing and we have averaged 15 to 25 people per outing, and this one had 22, if my head-count was correct.

Also as you noted, this was your first 'official' Ghost Town hunt, and while I have searched dozens of old townsites since my first in May of '69 (and it was also a RR townsite), there have only been a small percentage of them that you could call moderately littered with iron debris.  I'm sure you found all of them, especially the oldest RR town to have more than an ample supply of Iron Nails, Rusty Tin, and a good assortment of ferrous junk.

You were using two adequate detectors to take on the challenges of those sites, and I appreciate your photos of objects found.  It lets readers know the reality of hunting those once alive towns where there is a lot to create a detector response other than coins, trade tokens and fine gold and silver jewelry.  In addition to the discarded metal debris, both ferrous and non-ferrous, you get to deal with building rubble, sagebrush and other out-of-control vegetation, and it is wide wo select a detector that can work well, deal with good-target masking, and allow the use of a smaller-size search coil.  Then, work them in a slow and methodical manner to best cover an area.  Ghost town hunting is fun, but sometimes challenging, yet I think everyone ought to give it a try.

If anyone is interested in getting on our Welcome-to-Hunt Outing Contact List, all they need to do is e-mail me with that request and provide their Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number and E-Mail.   Reviewing your post you have the locations correct, their relative age, and the number of participants, which was 22.  The only oversight that caught my eye was the 12½¢ Trade Token which was found by OregonGregg and not UtahRich.

I do regret not being able to make that Outing and meeting up with both new and familiar faces.  I'm glad you enjoyed  the experience and trust you'll be able to make another future WTHO.

Keep up the detecting!

Monte

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Raphis said:

As much hunting as I have done in nearly 40 years of detecting, I have never hunted a bonafide ghost town site (and never hunted in NV or AZ before). Go figure.  Thanks for sharing your trip out West with us.  👍🏼

In just over 56 years of hunting, ghost towns and similar Relic Hunting related sites have occupied 95% of my detecting effort since July of '83.  That's 38 years of 'education', having fun, and making a lot of terrific finds.  old townsites I've worked the most have been in Utah, Nevada and Oregon, but i have enjoyed some experiences in Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, California, New Mexico and Arizona.

I think you ought to experience a new adventure!  Get out and work some ghost towns and, if interested, e-mail me contact info to get on the WTHO Contact List and be informed of future Outings.

Monte

• Like 4

Thanks for the write up...sounds like it was a ton of fun getting out with other detectorists and having war council every evening over dinner. 

strick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monte said:

The only oversight that caught my eye was the 12½¢ Trade Token which was found by OregonGregg and not UtahRich.

Thanks for catching that, and I've now corrected it.  From what I saw (not everyone displayed their finds), Gregg had the most keepers, by far.  He definitely subscribes to your {small coil, slow sweep, dig all} advice.  (And he swings the N/M CoRe, too, which you know but others may not.)  Mentioning Utah Rich's finds, he did spot a beautiful obsidian arrow head with his keen eyes.  Gregg mentioned more than once that surface finds ("sunbakers") show up in these desert towns and it helps to keep your eyes (as well as ears) open when detecting.  Another technique I need to pick up.

1 hour ago, Monte said:

(Most GT's are extensively) littered with iron debris.  I'm sure you found all of them, especially the oldest RR town to have more than an ample supply of Iron Nails, Rusty Tin, and a good assortment of ferrous junk.

Yes, for sure.  I sorted out most of the iron in the hotel room (not counting what I collected and carefully piled up at the sites themselves).  There are a few iron (/alloy) items in the photos, but I only kept what I found interesting.  Even square nails are super common around the Midwest -- my home base.  Railroad spikes?  How many does a person need in his/her collection?  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Looks like you had a great time. Didn't bring your Vaquero? 🙂

Wouldn't mind giving that a try if I could get the time off and travel out there. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Great write up and a lot of good artifacts. Glad you had fun and hope that you enjoyed yourself!

Good luck on your next hunt!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kac said:

Didn't bring your Vaquero? 🙂

It was on the candidates list.  Since this month-long trip included detecting for natural gold I also brought a PI.  I don't have a trailer nor a roof mount storage container so everything (including a futon mattress for sleeping) has to go inside my Jeep Compass.  Three detectors is already pushing it.

I don't have a small coil for the Vaquero.  (Monte has indicated the stock 8"x9" concentric has good separation, but it still seems like the wrong choice in so much trash, and small coils fit better in and between the vegetation.)  The F75 is a decent backup for the Equinox in gold bearing areas (in case the Equinox conks out, etc.) as well as a decent backup in park hunting, etc.  Besides the 4"x6" conc. I also brought the Mars 5"x10" (Sniper) DD.  Thus the F75 made the cut ahead of the Vaquero.  But, yes, with a small coil it should be a good performer in that trashy ghost town desert environment.

• Like 2