Garrett Infinium Discontinued

On February 12, 2016 at 5:01 AM, beardog said:

So, all you  Zed waving elitist, who have forgotten what detecting is all about - take up my challenge - try to beat my Infinium with any VLF you chose. Ya, I thought so......

One more thing, have you paid for that Zed yet, I mean with gold recovered?

So there, the next time you want to start bashing machines just remember, people love what they hunt with and have confidence just as large as the Zed collective.......probably a better day not kicking themselves because of the sky high price.

Now....now  don't worry....Everything is going to be ok....... I promise everything is going to be just fine......

I never knew I was supposed to feel guilty about owning a Zed... and I still have yet to kick myself.

One more thing  why do I have to use a VLF against your Infinium? Why cant I use my Zed?

strick

• Like 1

Mr. Beardog; Sir.

Detecting is all about finding gold. That part I haven't forgotten. gold mining, including nugget hunting with a detector, is an important part of my livelihood. It is vital that I use the best equipment available that I can afford. For 90% of my detecting work that means using the GPZ.

Thank you for complementing me as an "elitist" but I must confess, sadly, I am not one.

• Like 1

U.S. detector companies carry themselves a lot like  the "Big 3" auto makers did back in the 1970;s; "We will tell Americans what they want in a car and they will learn to like it". Then foreign competition (Japan) broke into the market listening and giving consumers what they were really looking for. It took Detroit over 20 years to finally figure it out and get back on track.

• Like 4

# Go ahead, knock the Infinium. Let the elitist expose themselves - go ahead! #

I'm no elitist that's for sure. And I don't expose myself (well I've never been arrested for it) But the Infinium .....It was a sh*t of a unit.

# The Infinium is, hands down, one of the best mid priced detectors out there. Don't matter where you go, wet or dry, it does a good job - unless you want to dwell on the minutia. #

I wouldn't call a terrible balance and tracking system, or horrible audio, or lack of both sensitivity and depth 'minutia' Bearcat....I'd call it majorutia.

# Give me any mid priced VLF and I will beat it, without a doubt, with my Infinium. #

How about 6 to start with.

You wouldn't think someone would want a comparison between a PI and VLF's, since you'd naturally assume the PI would handle hot ground better and would certainly track through or at least lock the balance to that ground better than a VLF and hunt deeper than it. But sadly that's not the case.

# So, all you Zed waving elitist, who have forgotten what detecting is all about - take up my challenge - try to beat my Infinium with any VLF you chose. Ya, I thought so...... #

Like I said, I'm no Zed waving elitist (they didn't suit me) I don't think anyone is. Those that kept em love em. I'm sure the guys running them are glad they did buy them..... good on em and half their luck.

And I've never heard one guy putting down and bagging another machine just because he runs a Zed.

And they are getting out and doing what detecting is all about - being outside surrounded by beautiful country, detecting gold and having a ball.

Now, to your VLF challenge....

The Infinium with either the stock 14" DD or Mono coils (I won't mention the falseing little 8" mono) cannot get to the depths on both small or larger gold hits on targets in-situ in medium to hot ground, or work through that ground, than the entire Minelab vlf platform, starting with the first truly good unit of the dual freq manually ground balancing green box Ace Dual and ending with the current Eureka.

One in particular was twice the unit the Infinium was, it was engineered by a Nuclear Physicist (hint, it's on my avatar and made the Garrett act like a toy in comparison)

# One more thing, have you paid for that Zed yet, I mean with gold recovered? #

Nah, I never bought one, just used a couple. They did not enjoy the ground types I would purchase one for. No gold found with them over that time either.

# So there, the next time you want to start bashing machines just remember, people love what they hunt with and have confidence just as large as the Zed collective.......probably a better day not kicking themselves because of the sky high price. In the end it's all about the end of the day and the experience of the great outdoors. #

# I have confidence in my Infinium - #

Everyone has a right to give their own run-down on a machine. Along with their opinion both good and bad. And when someone like myself spends big money for a sad unit, I'll express my thoughts. It's not detector bashing!

It doesn't worry me in the least if someone never liked or gelled with a 2200, F19, or a 3000 or a GT16000. Couldn't care less.

This is an Infinium thread and I have never used one but I can tell you that on a recent trip to Southern Arizona  many detectorists there and some Aussies at the Gem and Mineral show call the Zed 'a piece of shit 7000' as soon as you mention what you use.  Something about it not being 40% deeper than an 18" NF.

That attitude hardly puts us in the user of the most elite machine category.  I'll still keep mine (I have found more pieces in less than a year than I did with my 5000 for much longer) and my GPX.

I didn't respond to them at the time but if I did I would tell them they would find more gold with a Zed (with their keen ability to use a GPX) than they do without one.

Mitchel