Steve Herschbach

Like New White's Bigfoot Coil Only $525!

Miner John makes a folded 8 coils now that work on the TDI  of different size. That may be the one to talk with on making the Bigfoot coil. It's a great coil but I don't remember if it will work on the GPX. I'm not sure if any will work on a VLF detector. Don't take long to find out.

Chuck

Maybe Miner John could make one using the new flat or spiral coil winding that Coiltek and Nugget Finder is currently using:

Evolution Technology: In traditional bundle wound Litz coils, the individual turns of Litz wire are grouped together to form what essentially looks like a rope of wire. The Evolution Coils use the same Litz wire; however the individual turns of wire are laid side by side to form a wide flat strap of wire. This method of winding is called a Flat or Spiral winding. Flat winding reduces the capacitance between the wires and produces a much more efficient coil. It also dramatically increases the surface area of the winding, thereby producing a coil with both improved depth and sensitivity across all target sizes. :biggrin:

I would buy one for my MXT Pro!

Bill

Here's a little back-of-the-envelope figuring... Let's say the Bigfoot in active production can't justify a $500 price tag. Maybe $375 MSRP for a typical $300 street price. Let's say the manufacturer sells wholesale at 60% MSRP, that's $225 which would give a dealer $75 mark-up to street. The manufacturing costs for this coil will push $100, so the manufacturer makes $125 per coil. They average 10/month, so this comes up to $15,000 per year.

Not really worth the effort to develop and tool up for such a coil.

Now you'll say, "I'll bet the market is a lot higher than 10/month!" Maybe, maybe not. I knew the last guy who was hand-building Bigfoot coils, and 10/month was about right. And, to make matters worse, half of those he built didn't work, so he built 20 to sell 10.

This would be an opportunity for an entrepreneur to step in and develop a family of Bigfeet coils, not just for White's but Tesoro, Fisher, Garrett, etc. Then your market really opens up, and makes sunk development costs more palatable. But it would still be a one-man band, not enough money to be made to hire any help.

• Like 3

That all makes sense, most definitely.

Then again we have coils say like an 8"DD PI coil being made by Detech (great little coil btw), and hardly any guys buy them, maybe lucky to move a dozen across the world in six months.

But a single size range of Bigfoot in the 8design across many brands would be a must have for most detectorist's for sure.

If a person would run a ad telling everyone you want one you may be rewarded. I don't think it was a large amount made but you only want one.

I ran a ad for a drone 2 cycle engine some years back and one guy called with three.So you never know what may pop up.

Chuck

Chuck, took your advice and I'm looking for one for my MXT. Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Geotech

welcome to the hard graft of dollars/cents/material costs/labor hours.

I Bet Jim Karbowski never got rich making them in the first place.

Karbowski was literally making them in his barn. When he died, Jimmy Normandi got all the remnants and had Roy Van Epps (the last surviving entity of the old Discovery Electronics) building them at the Discovery Ghost Factory. Roy made enough off Bigfeet to occasionally buy dinner.

I've heard that Bill Lahr repairs the coils in Whittier, CA. Does anyone have his tel# contact info? Thanks,

Bill

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By rasheede11
      what is the best
      Coil use gpx4500 for
      Small nuggets weighing 0.2 g or 0.4 g
      Elite or N Finder Nuggets
      And circular or elliptical shape

• By auminesweeper
      In order to make finds some of the things I have done have gone against all the things that we know what not to do and although I know they are wrong where people would find rare coins etc once every 2 or 3 years on one such site I started pulling 6 or 7 per week, But I know I am wrong in the terms of correct deployment of such things, But I have the finds and I am still not sure what to think of that,
      I have seen every thing from BBS, FBS to XP machines being deployed with small coils to sift through the junk and still they find nothing in such heavily junk filled sites, So I thought about it and decided to do the total opposite to what every one else is doing and knows to be correct, So I fitted the biggest coil I had 12" concentric in my case and set the Disc on "3" which is a bit too high and the finds came thick and fast, Seeing deeper gave me the edge and at the time I thought it was laughable and amusing, But the more I did it the more it made sense, People see me there and the look on their face is priceless, A 12 inch concentric in a junk filled site this must look like that this is my first time detecting,
      I know the limits of the machine so now I have to be inventive, because the biggest coil I have seen there is a 10DD on an FBS/BBS machines, well because of the recovery speed, that gave me one edge and over machines like the XP the bigger concentric gave me another edge, I know it is a crazy thing to do but it works and so far I have never found less than 3 Ancient coins and many from the 1800s plus Gold jewellery  and junk jewellery etc and not once have I ever gone home empty handed, So until I have gone over all my sites then they will not be hunted out but the added bonus is they get ploughed every year and so the cycle begins again,
      I figure this is place is good for at leased another 4 or 5 years and then there is still my old patches to detect, In the Prospecting world doing this might only work for a year or two, But it will work because desperate times calls for desperate measures and this type of madness seems to fill in the gaps while we are waiting for the next Innovation to come along, If some of you are lacking the drive about detecting some area's I would urge folks to try it because you only have every thing to gain.
      Good luck,  john
    • By goldbrick
      I have an addiction. I am a coil junky. I have 13 coils for my GPX 4500 alone! I feel kind of stupid putting that in print for everyone to read but each purchase seemed to make sense at the time or I at least thought I could some how justify it because of increased gold production due to that specific coil.   Since I purchased a Makro Gold Racer Pro Pack I am now casting about for reasons to sate my addiction with a couple new accessory coils for the GR. Specifically the 5.5x10" concentric and the 13x15" DD. I have my ideas how each of these coils will be beneficial to me but I would like to hear what you guys think these coils offer in the way of advantages. Lets hear all the reasons you can think of for any detecting genre be it prospecting,relic,coin,jewelry,beach etc.,etc....
      Thanks,
      Merton

• By Hard Prospector
      I'm want to buy some NEL coils and am looking for recommendations for online retailers. Thanks.......Rob
    • By spencer@wy
      Last topic of the day for me.
      Does anyone know of this having been done?
    • By nugget65
      Heading to Rye Patch for the weekend and bringing my Nokta with and just curious as to the best size coil to use...am I looking deep ...shallow or what???? I've heard things like going over with a big coil then over the same area with the smaller coil....honestly this is where inexperience green comes in...thnx