Gold Rush Camp Finds In The Heat

It is the same site.   Two dimes just a few feet apart.  

• Like 2

If the little lettered tag you found is made of Copper based metal it might be a printing plate for an old newspaper advertisement. I have found some before. Pretty neat.

those seaties are sweeties!!!!!!    Gold ain't too shabby either!!!!!  good job.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JCR said:

If the little lettered tag you found is made of Copper based metal it might be a printing plate for an old newspaper advertisement. I have found some before. Pretty neat.

It is but I think too thin.  It is very fragile. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on your gold rush camp finds.👍  It's always a good time if you're finding those small "could-have-beens" as well as keepers, and I love finding any Seated Liberty coin as it is one of my favorite coin designs.

Was your site fairly free from very dense iron contamination?  Most of the gold mining era camps and townsites I have hunted in Oregon and Idaho have been hit-and-miss.  Some have some Iron Nails and a little extra ferrous junk, and some are almost as bad as the old RR townsites I have really enjoyed.   That means a lot of Iron Nails, plenty of ferrous and non-ferrous debris, and more shards of rusty tin that I care for. 

Due to dense trash as well as a lot of brush, overgrowth and rubble, smaller-size coils have worked well for me, but in some modestly cluttered places I can do OK with a mid-size coil .... if  it is on a decent-performing detector.  I use a selection of favorite detectors and coils, with one of them being the ORX, and I favor the 5X9½ DD HF coil.  I'm curious which coil you were using on your Deus?

Thanks, and best of success on your next old site.

Monte

• Like 2

Monte,  I am using the X35/9" coil on the DEUS.   This site has tons of flat can pieces and square nails.  I don't think I would use the DEUS for park type hunting for coins but, it really  does well in old sites like this.  

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Gold Rush Camp Finds In The Heat
13 hours ago, CVISChris said:

Monte,  I am using the X35/9" coil on the DEUS.   This site has tons of flat can pieces and square nails.  I don't think I would use the DEUS for park type hunting for coins but, it really  does well in old sites like this.  

'Thank You' for that info. i have the 9" X-35 coil but have used it only a little the first time i had one and that was a year ago.  i spend most hunt-time in very trashy and / or very brushy areas and the 5x9½ DD HF coil has been working well for me and my two programs with the ORX.  I plan to use the 9" X-35 more this summer to see if I can get to like it , but for my need and site conditions I'm not so certain it will out-perform or even match the elliptical's behavior.

I have worked the ORX in a variety of hunt sites, both urban and remote, and I have pretty much decided the ORX belongs in my 'get-serious' Relic Hunting team with my Nokta  FORS CoRe and FORS Relic because these three hunt pretty well in dense iron nails and shards of rusty tin.   My Tesoro favorites are also good performers in those old sites, and my Garrett Apex is also proving to be a contender, however those two Apex units I use, with a Ripper and a Raider coil for each, are my primary urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting devices.

On my next Ghost Town adventure I'll take the 9" X-35 and give it a workout.

Monte

• Like 1