Gold Bug 2 Finally Gets Upgraded

phrunt

As a lot of people don't bother checking out the First Texas thread these days as very little happens there I figured I'd post this here too, they finally upgraded the Gold Bug 2, with a small facelift to bring it up to the late 1990's 🙂

21851428_Goldbug2.png.03a9032570ff37c70cefd32a7c6297a5.png

Nothing performance wise seems to be changed but it has a screen now!

You can see the original post by Cipher here

I also put a Youtube video on that thread where a guy tests it against various detectors including the GM1000 and GPX 6000.  He tests it against his Nox but has it setup incorrectly for nugget detecting so ignore that segment of his video 🙂

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yes, Just another of their famous paint jobs really.  They have potentially the best nugget hunting VLF guts available, they just needed to really put some effort in and make it a real new Gold Bug 3.  It's the first time a new model of a detector I own has come out and I'm not all excited about it, in fact I don't want it as there is no real benefit over the original Gold Bug 2, I would rather Garrett's offering with the 24k.

• Like 8

Spot on, Phrunt.

• Like 1

I wonder how much money they actually put into the new version GB-2?  In my opinion, what a waste of time, labor and efforts.  No wonder FT is going in the wrong direction.  Just a matter of time and they'll be Amazoning their own burial.  So sad to see another American detector company fading away.  Maybe time for new management as the last few yrs has not been friendly for us dealers.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I was excited at first, but disappointment soon followed, yea, they should have came out with a GB3.  

• Like 2

Quote:" In my opinion, what a waste of time, labor and efforts."

If their only other option was discontinue it ( due to obsolete parts ) or raise the price significantly ( due to obsolesent parts , having to get custom-manufactured replacements etc ) , they chose the simplest route to keep it going : change what needs to be changed, but keep the majority of it unchanged, as that's why people like it and find it effective.
  • Like 2

It appears internally the same, they're just removed a couple of the knobs and replaced them with buttons, the dual pot was potentially harder to source, who knows but I think they did it to try keep up with the rest of the market and modernize it a bit to try get some sales, it's a competitive world out there and the competitors have modern detectors that perform very similar and are often easier to use and new products generally get the most sales.  It's probably the Garrett 24k that's forced them to do this and they think by releasing a new paint job it will generate some sales.  The performance of it appears the exact same.

The headphone socket on the side will annoy some people.

Anyway, I'll post the video here too in case people miss it where they can see it in action, the guys comparisons aren't ideal as he doesn't appear to know how to use his Equinox having the disc on when going over the nuggets.  GPX 6000 users might say he doesn't appear to know how to use that either I don't know but it did very poorly on the nuggets too I thought.

• Like 2

Bought a early model of the GB2, would have purchased a " good" updated GB2 but this is not updated enough to be worth it, too bad, would like to see a US detector company do well. Hope they are tuning into this web site, hope they care about their future. 

• Like 1