Gold Bug 2 Finally Gets Upgraded

phrunt

Their site isn't quite that unloved, Simon. I found a link in the 'Hobby' section to the:
"NEW! 2016 Interactive Catalog"

One solution to this 'neglected website' problem is to make the site ridiculously dated, so no-one can tell how old it is. Add some pictures of a moustache-wearing hairy-chested guy in flared jeans detecting the park, or a glamourous Farrah Fawcett lookalike lady in a bikini swinging a big-box unit over the beach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A shame that after waiting over 25 years for a next version of the Gold Bug 2, that there is no additional functionality at all. Unless you count seeing the ground balance number as adding anything, which it does not in actual practice. They could have at least added a two tone option to the disc mode, instead of the current system that leaves you completely unaware of rejected targets. Maybe ground grab, or better yet a tracking option. I suppose this gets them ahead of the counterfeiters for a short period of time, but I agree it looks mainly like an attempt to make a very old model seem new. It's not good when a new model comes out, that my first instinct in this case would be to get the old version instead while they are still available new with warranty. Except I left my Gold Bug 2 in the rear view mirror long ago, and see nothing here that tempts me to go back.

Let me modify that. The knobs and toggle switches collect dirt and water, and are a pain to keep clean, and the toggles in particular are a fail point, especially the disc toggle. If they wanted to go this route, then going fully touch pad with a smooth, waterproof, wipe-off control panel would have been welcome by some. As is, this is only a half attempt at that, but a possible small plus in losing the toggles.

fisher-gold-bug-2-new-lcd-2021-model.jpg

• Like 4

I didn't think about the toggles being a dirt magnet, so far mines been good but I'll look into spending $1 and get some toggle switch boot seals to put on them.  I guess they could have done the same 20 years ago.

1212636303_Toggleswitchboot.png.00cd8921ee704d65b15f5f9dd296a6c2.png

Update: Bugger, Unlike with my GPX detectors after checking the toggle switches on the GB2 the ones they've used don't have the thread that would allow just screwing some toggle boots on, so to do it I'm going to have to change the switches completely to threaded ones.  A project for another day.

• Like 1

Yea, had not thought about getting dirt into the toggles as a potential big problem on the GB2 or the 5000, have to look into that. Thanks for pointing that out. I do clean my 5000 each off season, will pay more attention to the toggles with caned air. 

• Like 1

At first I thought of the new GB2 with display .... it will also have a VDI indicator in disk mode..this would move this detector to the coin shoting zone ... but for now it is .... that it is about pure gold-prospeting detector ...

• Like 1