GPX 17 Coil Commentary

It's reassuring to see the problems aren't as bad as have been made out, that's why I've kept calling them possible problems, as I don't even know how much of a problem they really are.  I am a big speaker user though so I'd be annoying if I jumped in and got one and a few months later it's fixed on newer ones and I'm stuck with one where the speaker can maybe on some occasions cause an issue as I'd want to use the speaker full time and wouldn't carry headphones just in case I need them, I don't really understand the speaker issue but my take on it is randomly it makes you need to noise cancel more often if using the speaker and that doesn't sound so bad as they've made the noise cancel lightning quick.  If extending the shaft to full was a fix I'd fine with that 🙂  EMI is a funny thing, some may experience this speaker EMI thing due to the type of EMI in their area and others may never experience it I guess, anything is possible with interference. 

I'd find my own fix for the shaft thing, that's an easier one to deal with although I'd mostly use a smaller coil anyway, the GM just required a bit of plumbers tape on it's thread to stop it's problem.  These problems do tend to get amplified by people who have not experienced them and each person the possible problems get passed through they get amplified again and suddenly a small glitch becomes a big issue.  I think it's mostly only JP I've heard of the problems from at this stage but he said a lot of it is how fussy he is and others may not even notice, I guess an indication the problems aren't as bad as they may seem.

Seeing time is on my side and there isn't masses of people swinging the detector all around my area I'll just hold off for a while and see what happens as I do mostly look for gold in high EMI very close to urban areas.  Just a couple of days ago I was looking for gold under power lines right near an international airport with constant flights coming past, and it's a spot I go to most often as it's the closest one to home and I've done what I consider well there.  Also seeing it's well hunted I purposefully hunt in the more difficult spots knowing older detectors struggled there, sadly it will soon be developed and works started on that now 😞

I appreciate everyone who owns one giving their feedback on these things, and it seems more often than not they're not a problem for most.

• Like 4

Interesting discussion by Minelab testers as to how much influence they think they have on the final product design. 

It looks to me that Minelab is willing to change their design quite late in the product development cycle based on the following information from Australian Government IP Design website - the only other explanation is that Minelab has another GPX6000 type product they are going to launch.

The first design of the GPX6000 was 202013037 which was filed on the 28th May 2020. A revised design 202014625 was lodged 3 months later on the 25th August 2020 - just 7 to 8  months before product started being delivered to customers. The only change in the design i can spot looks like the strengthening of the main body of the detector clamp to the shaft & maybe a different speaker grill. Maybe the more eagle eyed can find more.

So in my mind this lends to the belief that

- field testing showed there was a problem (strength?) with design of the main body/ shaft connection.

- Minelab is willing to change (improve) the design even at quite a late stage of the game.

Now some people will say 7 to 8 months is not late to change the design - my experience from developing new products to be manufactured in Asia and distributed globally the standard lead times from final sign off of design and placing of work orders is 6 months minimum  - it normally was up to 8 months. So those changes were done just before the big green cant return button was pushed.

So take heart testers - im sure your feedback data is being crunched and analysed by Minelab - they have a lot riding on it.

202013037.MEDIUM.JPG

202014625.MEDIUM.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

Is my understanding of the 6000 coils correct that the 11" is bundle wound and the 17" is flat wound?

It appears no one can answer your question.

I would think both the 11" and 17" are flat wound.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

It appears no one can answer your question.

I would think both the 11" and 17" are flat wound.

Unless somebody cuts one open/x rays it, it’s just guessing. I’m guessing both are flat wound, but my guess is no better than yours.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Unless somebody cuts one open/x rays it, it’s just guessing. I’m guessing both are flat wound, but my guess is no better than yours.

I asked someone who knows and it turns out the 11" 6000 is partially spiral wound which was the method used in the 12x6" X-coil for the GPX.  This method is used as the coil size is too small to fit full spiral windings and still gives some of the benefits of being spiral.  While it's not known about the 17" it's likely it's fully spiral as the coil is big enough to fit the windings which might be why people are saying the 17" is pretty competitive with the 11" for sensitivity.

• Like 4

The only reason why I’ve highlighted the so called ‘issues’ with the 6K is to head all the negative naysayers off at the pass, I am so used to them coming out of the woodwork that I now actually find myself arguing the case before they even start, which is just plain nuts!! 😜 

Simon I would be very interested in where you got your “someone who knows” info 🧐 , the word spiral wound or flat wound was never really used or alluded to during field testing. The 6000 sensitivity is all about the electronics that is where the performance is coming from. Flat wound aftermarket coils on the previous GPX machines actually forced the electronics to do something they were never designed to do in the first place (it works pretty well though) and is why they seem to saturate so badly in hot ground when in reality it is more likely X signal (VRM) that people are hearing combined with the saturation due to the forcing of the electronics. 

JP

• Like 4

Maybe strick can x-ray one with his funky machine and verify it.