GPX 17 Coil Commentary

Hi G - i think you gave more away trade secrets as the test bed was in South Australia - so looking forward to visiting the Golden Triangle Victoria  again when the borders are open and giving the 14 inch DD a go.

Now where exactly was your patch?😊

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VicR said:

When i used to work in Papua New Guinea the local saying was "expect the unexpected" which i think applies to metal detecting - you continue to learn and be surprised.

Yesterday three of us decided to test the GPX6000 with 11 inch mono, 14 inch DD and 17 inch mono and GPZ7000 with 14 inch stock coil at a local test site that has targets in situ for a number of years.

We were particularly interested in the deepest target that was buried at 400mm (about 16 inches) representing a large deep nugget.

The 7000 could not detect it in difficult setting only in normal setting -  i was told by the owner of the 7000 that normal is not his preferred setting.

The 6000 could not detect this deep target  with the 11 inch and even the 17 inch (we tried all settings)   - but get this - the 14 inch DD with EMI cancel on could hear it as good as (if not better) than the 7000 in normal mode . We were not expecting this result.

We though about this for a moment and the only conclusion we could come to was that the high environmental EMI was affecting the performance of the other coils & favoured the DD coil.

Any other thoughts as to why we had this result?

Hey Vic (and G), I have a couple questions.  Vic, what was the target size?  Vic and G, do you think that because the DD should smooth out the threshold/EMI/ground that you were able to hear subtle repeatable targets or was the threshold still a little chattery but the target signals was obvious?  

Thanks!

7 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Hey Vic (and G), I have a couple questions.  Vic, what was the target size?  Vic and G, do you think that because the DD should smooth out the threshold/EMI/ground that you were able to hear subtle repeatable targets or was the threshold still a little chattery but the target signals was obviou

Hi FON,

I was told the target was a largish piece of lead (maybe an oz) at 400mm, it & other targets was buried many years ago by a very experience local detectorist - now i have recovered a .5gram nugget at about this depth (same as JP) at Tibooburra NSW (desert country) with the 11 inch coil so i was very  surprised i could not pick it with the 11 and 17 inch mono coils on the 6000 but the DD 14 inch signal was clear as a bell. We had 2  6000 machines with us and both achieved the same results.  Also the 11 and 17 inch coils did not sound overly unstable - only when you put them up in the air could you tell you were in a high EMI area. After the testing we went detecting - I kept the DD coil on and could go right up to an electric fence without hearing the pulsing  - my mates with the 7000 and the 6000 with mono coil had to stay well clear of the fence as it made their machines very unstable.

JP and Steve - thank you for sharing your insights and contributions. Makes me realise i need to understand the environment and ground better to make the correct coil & setting choices. Nothing beats experience.

Also i have a unsubstantiated but credible rumour (apologies if this has already been report) that Minelab has already given a 3rd party permission to design and make coils for the GPX6000.

• Like 6

JP, I have had tennis elbow a couple of times in the past, I purchased an elbow "sleeve" I guess you would call it. It took some time but eventually ( within months ) it healed and have not had problem's for a long time.  The tightness and heat to the elbow it provided is what helped me. Hope you get better. 

• Like 2