Unplanned Adventure

I made a run out into gold basin today with the 6000 but I’m having a hard time going on a honeymoon with the new GPX, the 7000 with nugget finder coil haven’t missed much I guess, it was a long day of micro trash and one tiny .2g meteorite. I hunted from 5AM until past dark, on the way out of the Basin when I got to the end of Spring drive the area around Greg’s Hideout Road was flooded with around 6” of fast moving water heading into the wash at the end of Hideout road. All day long was overcast and the afternoon had rapid fire thunder (boom, boom, boom, boom) it sounded like a war zone and lightning with some rain there was obviously heavy rain farther up the mountain

i decided I’d give it a try figuring I had enough time to make it to the pavement about 4 or 5 miles before it got worse and if things did get  worse I’m not wanting to spend the night out in my Jeep. I made the right turn and headed up hideout road in the pitch black with only my lights, I got about 200 yards and had to stop and wade into about 8” of fast water now to engage the front hubs I wasn’t going any farther without being in 4hi, pretty soon it became clear in the dark and flooded waters I’d somehow missed the road and I was heading in the flooded wash running parallel to hideout road against a barrier of vegetation and the water was getting deeper and splashing over my windshield making it almost impossible to see where I’m headed. I thought about trying to turn around but without maintaining speed my Jeep would slow to a complete stop this happened 3 times at least I slowed to a couple mph even though I was running wot and working the Jeep side to side. Through Everything the Jeep was able to keep enough traction to recover momentum but the water. Was now up to the floor pan on my 4’lift with 33x12.5 mud terrain tires I kept scouring the bank for a spot I could bail and try to find the road, luckily after about 2 miles fighting the water and mud I spotted a sand bar that opened up to a drive able spot on the bank near the road I needed and went for it, I had to hunt a little but found a spot I could cut back onto the dirt road that was now clear of the flood water in this spot. I’ve never driven it in mud or deep water but I was impressed at how well my Jeep performed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 8

Glad you came through it safe and sound as it could have gone from bad to worse.

You might want to equip the Jeep with a good trolling motor if you keep this up.

Stay safe and happy hunting!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Glad you came through it safe and sound as it could have gone from bad to worse.

You might want to equip the Jeep with a good trolling motor if you keep this up.

Stay safe and happy hunting!

My plan is to never do that again, lol.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

My plan is to never do that again, lol.

Being a slow learner 50+ years ago, it took me two bad bogs where the tow truck had to winch himself 100 yards in to get near enough to hook me up. Then he had to winch himself and me back out. I can't remember how much it cost me but in was much more than a weeks wage each time. Now 20 meters and no more forward direction only reverse or get help to get out.

• Like 1

And not a drop of rain here for months Clark. You know I never thought about it but a pfd might not be a bad idea in your Jeep...you hear about those flash floods all the time. 

Strick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LuckyLundy said:

I’d check your Hubs!  Water/sand gets in them and eats your bearings up!  Probably, could use repacking with grease anyways!

I would go a little farther and replace fluids. (both diff's, transfer case, trans, and oil.)  This is why I don't do water crossings anymore. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, strick said:

And not a drop of rain here for months Clark. You know I never thought about it but a pfd might not be a bad idea in your Jeep...you hear about those flash floods all the time. 

Strick

Chuck, I have a SpotX I bought a few years ago with all the coverages, helicopter and off road recovery, earlier that day I’d been scouting for new ground exploring washes in the early afternoon when the weather turned and I made a point of getting  out of them just because I know it can get tricky. 

4 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Being a slow learner 50+ years ago, it took me two bad bogs where the tow truck had to winch himself 100 yards in to get near enough to hook me up. Then he had to winch himself and me back out. I can't remember how much it cost me but in was much more than a weeks wage each time. Now 20 meters and no more forward direction only reverse or get help to get out.

my insurance should cover some if not all of it..I hope although they just adopted some new rules from Garmin with more restrictions than before.

53 minutes ago, LuckyLundy said:

I’d check your Hubs!  Water/sand gets in them and eats your bearings up!  Probably, could use repacking with grease anyways!

Rick

49 minutes ago, Swegin said:

I would go a little farther and replace fluids. (both diff's, transfer case, trans, and oil.)  This is why I don't do water crossings anymore. 

I’m planning too, when I got to the chevron dealer at pierce ferry rd I checked my transmission and the fluid was clean, I didn’t see any impurities or I’d have had it towed home. I’m going to have the fluids changed and service what I can just to be safe.

• Like 4