Unplanned Adventure

Ugh, glad you got out 😅 People tend to think their vehicles can drive through moving water but don’t realize the amount of force it receives against one side when crossing perpendicular to the current. If in a emergency and deep water, diagonal as much as possible heading downstream is better- at least thats what my swift water rescue class instructor said- you may avoid hydrolocking the engine and can’t flip as easily as sideways to the current.  But then getting out safely as fast as possible like you did is the best thing!
Stay safe!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Ugh, glad you got out 😅 People tend to think their vehicles can drive through moving water but don’t realize the amount of force it receives against one side when crossing perpendicular to the current. If in a emergency and deep water, diagonal as much as possible heading downstream is better- at least thats what my swift water rescue class instructor said- you may avoid hydrolocking the engine and can’t flip as easily as sideways to the current.  But then getting out safely as fast as possible like you did is the best thing!
Stay safe!

thanks for the tips although I hope to not need them, but it’s good to know in a pinch. My skills behind the wheel are honed from a youth of pushing the limits and getting away with it unscathed and 30 years of emergency service I tend not to panic the key to coming out OK in most situations is to keep you head. When I put the tires on fortunately the tire shop lied to me about the Toyo’s being quiet on the road (they suck, but off road they work)…and now I’ve got something more than “Matt’s off-road recovery” videos to add to my tool box if there ever is a next time, lol “not” (probably). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

Glad you and the jeep came through,  no gold but the adventure and a tight scrape put one hell of a memory in the polk

I could write a book, if only I could write.

• Haha 2

Car insurance FAQs

Am I covered?

Will I be covered for driving off-road?

Some insurance policies will provide coverage for your vehicle if you are driving off-road, but you should check with your insurance company and always take safety precautions.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Car insurance FAQs

Am I covered?

Will I be covered for driving off-road?

Some insurance policies will provide coverage for your vehicle if you are driving off-road, but you should check with your insurance company and always take safety precautions.

My AAA is 200 miles on road only, but the SpotX comes with 100 miles optional off road coverage I bought although I’ve never used it or talked to anyone who has I’m pretty sure the coverage will be there I’m just not sure it’s a quick turn around being specialized I’ll bet the wait could be long. The new exclusions were more about life flight helicopter restrictions, like if you went out after receiving heart treatment or had diagnosis of severe sleep apnea within the last year and went out and had a heart attack you will not be covered for the extraction cost while taking the chance knowing the risk.

I am assuming you didn't have a sluice box with you. You probably overlooked a heck of an opportunity.

18 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

chance knowing the risk.

anytime I'm within sight of my jeep I'm taking a risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, klunker said:

I am assuming you didn't have a sluice box with you. You probably overlooked a heck of an opportunity.

anytime I'm within sight of my jeep I'm taking a risk.

klunker, Damn, the one time I could have used one and it didn’t cross my mind, for those that have seen the shoe horn I use to load my Jeep with junk, lol.

Chuck, I just saw pfd, my dislexia I saw pdl, ha now I wonder if my old guy lumber support would keep me afloat in a pinch always good to kill two birds with one stone when you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hard enough to do in the daylight, much less at night.   Glad you got out safe and sound.   

In my youth, jeeps must have given me and my friends a false sense of security as I never recall walking for assistance more for any other vehicle than I did jeeps.  Mostly due to no winch or mechanical jacks on board, or a flat spare.  

HH

Mike 

On 8/11/2021 at 12:55 PM, 1515Art said:

I could write a book, if only I could write.

You do pretty good!

• Like 1