Gpx-6000 1st Trip To The Gold Fields (part 1 Of 2 - Long Read)

Poor Brian, he may have to legally change his name to “Brian” now...🤣

• Haha 2

Great Job Gerry.  I been away from detecting for a while but it's great to see you are still hard at it and have found a new detector to play with. I am sure you must be ultra excited about it's potential to find missed gold.  I would be more tempted myself to jump at the 6000 but with my age and knees and distance to gold from the east coast it probably wouldn't get much use, but I may be contacting you about getting a equinox 800 before long.  Being a Vet like you (Semper Fi) I appreciate the discount you and Minelab provide us Vets.  I would tell you "keep at it" but I know you love your job so no chance you won't.  

Terry in NC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish to clarify some info I posted about a comparison of the EQ800 and the 6000 at Rye Patch in June. This was the 1st time out for the 6000 and everyone was "learning" in the field. When a target was found we all would swing over it and I made a comment that the 6000 did not hear some targets that the EQ800 did. This was true, however, Gerry's group was learning the detector and the targets NOT heard were so, so small! This comment by me prompted someone to say, "well I guess one detector can't do it all". I want to dispel that notion and say that I think the 6000 can pretty much do it ALMOST all! Were the 6000 not so expensive I would buy one in a "heartbeat...still debating whether to get one or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aerospace guy said:

I wish to clarify some info I posted about a comparison of the EQ800 and the 6000 at Rye Patch in June. This was the 1st time out for the 6000 and everyone was "learning" in the field. When a target was found we all would swing over it and I made a comment that the 6000 did not hear some targets that the EQ800 did. This was true, however, Gerry's group was learning the detector and the targets NOT heard were so, so small! This comment by me prompted someone to say, "well I guess one detector can't do it all". I want to dispel that notion and say that I think the 6000 can pretty much do it ALMOST all! Were the 6000 not so expensive I would buy one in a "heartbeat...still debating whether to get one or not.

Aerospace Guy,

That's a interesting read.  Are you saying the Equinox 800 could see some actual gold targets the 6k could not see?  I'm assuming you were there, so what were you swinging, the 800? If so what coil? So how did the 800 do at rye patch while hunting for gold?  Could you expand?  I know the 800 is capable of finding gold, I just didn't know it would be that sensitive to tiny gold?  

Terry  

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Terry,  So good to see you again on DP and hopefully things are going well back in NC.  Last time we chatted I think you met me at Atlantic Beach and I showed you a water detector?

Those that don't know Roughwater (Terry), he's a long time ago client of mine who drove out to NV and took one of my classes, this had to be early 2000's, maybe 03/04?  Is this your rig you drove across the USA Terry?

Oct2a.thumb.JPG.c97eee87d2861a9d9ee6aa8a71cdf8dd.JPG

During the training Terry scored the gold he selected as his name on DP.  Those were great days and it's amazing we still find stuff out there.

As for the EQ-800 and seeing gold targets the bigger detectors do not.  YES that's a fact and something I now share (have been for the last 10 yrs) during the 3 Day Field Training.

Yes the Equinox 800 is a capable detector than can find smaller bits of gold a Pulse Induction or the GPX can not see.  Also, the 800 can find high grade ore from hard rock piles the SD's, GP's, GPX's (including the new GPX-6000) and the GPZ can not see.  The pic below is over an ounce gold Au after crushed (13 pieces) and my GPZ-7000 did not hear one of them.  The EQ-800 found them all.20200519_170216.thumb.jpg.d370e6099961bddd1c87c061df044296.jpg

Pictured below is an Idaho Specimen (1 of many) the bigger detectors can not see. B-S3.thumb.jpg.adc1511bd404b29e0ba41278d3f7dda7.jpg

And finally here is a nice wire gold specimen the big detectors don't see.U.thumb.jpg.09d9cfda5a35fdd40ba558e5c5cce994.jpg

Yes I get people who will down me and think I'm trying to talk down a GP, GPX and GPZ, but when I offer a friendly bet for their bigger detector, they back down.  So many know it all snowflakes on the forums and social media these days, I get to the point it's not worth wasting my time.  In actuality for me and those of my customers who know, it's just more gold for us as we realize the importance of still TODAY needing a quality VLF gold detector and because of the features on the EQ-800, my staff and I prefer it.  Are there other VLF's that can see these types of gold better than the big machines?  Most certainly and the new named Garrett GoldMaster 24K model (previously White's detector) is still one of my favorite "Gold Only" VLF detectors.

Garrett24K.thumb.jpg.c9424744bb1efc58da385eebe558be76.jpg

So which ones is best?  I wish the answer was that easy and some people think it is, but since I spend so much time in the field in many states and 2 other countries on occasion hunting a variety of kinds of gold with so many different detectors, it's kind of silly in fact, but the knowledge gained has helped me understand more than the average dealer and or customer, what the capabilities and or lack of the different detectors and what they see and or can't hear.  By no means does this make them a bad model of detector, it's just the facts.  There is not one detector that does all the gold, but there are a couple that do the majority of gold and that's what's most important.

As those who have taken the training know, we enjoy comparing detectors, technologies and coils to targets in the ground and as we remove soil and get closer each time.  This allows us to see when and or how close a certain detector or coil can start hearing a real signal.  See pic below.

Oct04c.thumb.JPG.bb8f1a67f4f36e9b51c7b159392eb4d8.JPG

What do my Field Staff and I enjoy most for our gold hunting detectors?  The Equinox 800, the GPX-6000 and the GPZ-7000 in no particular order.  Yes I still have staff who are using the GPZ-7000 but only for the certain situations.  If I could only afford 2 detectors, then the GPX-6000 and EQ-800 would be my 2 choices.

Hopefully this helps everyone as I realize most folks don't have the means to test the majority of detectors and on many variations of gold nuggets, specimens and ore dumps.  The reality is in the US, there actually is quite a bit of gold left to be found.  Just need to make sure you have the right detector (tool) for the task.

Later this summer/fall I'll be doing some serious comparisons and testing of my specimens to see how much better than GPX-6000 is vs the GPZ-7000 as I know the GPX and it's improved technology will outperform the almost 7 yr old technology of the GPZ.  But by how much is another question.  In my opinion who cares?  The other benefits of ergonomics, weight, and such already spoken about of the new GPX-6000 are already proven.

Lots of great info there Gerry.  I think I may have found some of that gold ore and tossed it thinking it was just a hot rock. 

It was 05 when I first met you and I had bought a GP 3500 from you which thankfully qualified me to a few days training with you at Rye patch.  Actually the training was what caused me to make that first purchase from you as you charged the same as everyone else for a GP so it was a no Brainer to purchase from you. 

That was a great training session too! I found my first little nugget with you at Rye patch on that third day of training. It was in a tall pile of worked dirt and gravel. The next day on my own I found around 8 more nuggets with that 3500, one of which weighted just over an ounce.  Some of the other folks there hunting and camping at RP said it was the largest found in the last few years.  Unfortunately I didn't have that kind of luck in Alaska but it was a great trip none the less.  We also met a few years later when I bought a GPX 5000 from you and you trained me again in southern Oregon. On that trip I also did a little gem prospecting as well.  On that trip the gold was small and there were only a few tiny nuggets found with a gold bug.  Then this last time I tried beach hunting and bought a 3030 from you and we did hunt Atlantic beach in NC as you mentioned.   

The Rye Patch pic you have is not of my Rig but I wish it was.  When you see the picture of my Rig below, (4 runner) I'm sure you will recall as I remember you saying something about how bad it was sagging in the back.  It was sagging too as I was caring gear for 3 people as I was headed to Alaska from Rye patch and picked up 2 gentlemen from Texas in Anchorage who were going to prospect with me at a creek near Anchorage.  Unfortunately the trip to Alaska sometimes on gravel roads for a hundred miles shook the ship our of that old Toyota and I ended up buying a Ford Diesel 4x4 in Alaska in order to get back home. 1450636415_RyepatchGold.thumb.JPG.44664a8955fb3d4ada28684321a9df74.JPG 

472221535_ShadowatRyePatchresovoirNV2005.thumb.JPG.e6fa9d6a133225a18f3504a7b56800c7.JPG 

• Like 4