Garrett Goldmaster 24K In Alaska

I’m not a gold prospector but find this release and watching the product lineups between the competitors interesting. Also watching how Garrett incorporates the Whites lineup and which products.  I really wasn’t sure what the benefit was to the Whites purchase with a lot of overlap in offerings. Other than maybe multi frequency IP. 

Where does this leave the AT Gold?  Significant price drop? Soon to be discontinued?  

The MSRPs between these two gold detectors is very similar. Assuming similar % reduction in street prices, still close. I imagine the 24k has a better standing as a serious gold detector than the AT. Similar size/type coils, different frequencies (24k higher frequency is better?), being rainproof is probably good enough for this type of detecting. Just curious if I’m missing anything as a non gold prospector. 

The At  Gold should be more in tune for all around freshwater hunting then the 24k since it is  waterproof and also has a thresh hold all metal mode  too if you want it.It has much better  target id in the discriminate mode.It will have good results on  most jewelry. Only the smallest   jewelry will give it problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

Where does this leave the AT Gold?  Significant price drop? Soon to be discontinued?  

Pretty much where it has always been as a coin, jewelry, and relic machine. Very few people use it for gold prospecting since it can’t compete with the higher frequency models, which is why Garrett needed the 24K.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steve for a great write-up on the unit, as I was wondering if they would ever do anything with the White's products. Glad to see them bring back a good machine and kept the coils compatible.

I do hope they continue the carrot as I could use a new pinpointer.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Pretty much where it has always been as a coin, jewelry, and relic machine. Very few people use it for gold prospecting since it can’t compete with the higher frequency models, which is why Garrett needed the 24K.

Yeah I always thought it was more of a competitor, at least from a lineup perspective, to the Fisher Gold Bug/F19. Seems redundant now with the similar price point and the AT Pro and Max already being capable of being jack of all trade machines. Plus don’t hear a lot about them so imagine not a big seller in the first place. 

2 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

Yeah I always thought it was more of a competitor, at least from a lineup perspective, to the Fisher Gold Bug/F19. Seems redundant now with the similar price point and the AT Pro and Max already being capable of being jack of all trade machines. Plus don’t hear a lot about them so imagine not a big seller in the first place. 

I am partial to the AT Gold and would buy one over the AT Pro all day due to it having much better audio response and a good threshold based all metal mode. The AT Gold’s only problem is that Garrett named it the AT Gold……… It can sort of compete with the F19/G2+/Gold Bug Pro but those detectors had much better gold prospecting coil choices until recently and their all metal mode/ground mineralization handling is superior to the AT Gold.  For basic all terrain coin/jewelry and even relic detecting however, I would much rather use the AT Gold than the AT Pro or the F19/G2+ and especially the Gold Bug Pro.

The Garrett/Whites Goldmaster 24K is on another level entirely from the AT Gold/F19/G2+/Gold Bug Pro. It is made specifically for smaller sized gold nugget prospecting and does it very well.

• Like 7

When searching for strongly subgram targets, it is better to use detectors that work at a significantly higher frequency than 20 khz..i ... because they have a native better sensitivity to very small targets ... ,, and at the same time they do not have to be just gold nuggets ,, but it can also be a small low-conductivity jewelry .. where, for example, 2 x higher frequency means 2 x more practical range ....

You simply cannot replace a detector operating at 48khz ... with a detector operating only at 14-20 khz on very small targets .....

...Similarly, it will be poorly detectable targets, where the target is relatively large enough ... but a detector operating at 14-20 khz almost does not detect it ...

....For example, this earring is detectable at 14khz and at 1.3- 1.5cm ..max ../MXT PRO-7"DD coil/ .... when using a detector operating at 40 khz .. it is not a problem to get another signal at 4cm to 4.5cm  !!!...IMG_20201020_010234.thumb.jpg.d4a015fd1f1f0ac185adff4b4fe8703c.jpg

• Like 8

Sadly, Garrett NZ has no plans to bring them in by the looks of it...... back to the drawing board.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your email,

We do not currently have any of these new units on order,

We may bring them in at a later date, but this may be into next year,

Thanks for your time

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1