Garrett Goldmaster 24K In Alaska

I personally haven't had much luck with the TRX for prospecting.  My first one I always thought was faulty as it's performance was pretty poor and when you buy a product like this internationally you buy in knowing you have no warranty as sending it back and so on ends up costing more than buying it so I then managed to finally secure another one from Centreville Electronics in the US at great expense but at least they were willing to ship it to me but it was no better.  Yes, in air tests it's a killer pinpointer and the most sensitive but in the field not so much.  

I find I have to run it on number 2 out of 4 sensitivity or it reacts to the soil and drives me nuts  having to retune it constantly trying to stop it falsing and I'm in rather mild soils I think.  And at 2 out of 4 sensitivity the Garrett Carrot AT which will run on maximum sensitivity without even turning it on near the soil is more sensitive.

I just know my Carrot is more sensitive to small targets on the side of the tip so when using it I use the side of the tip rather than the tip to recover tiny targets.  This works well for me.  I've tried to find a better pin pointer for prospecting with virtually every major brand and always end up going back to the Garrett AT.  It just works with minimal fuss and is built to handle the rough treatment that comes with prospecting, the amount of times I've dropped it on rocks and it just keeps going strong.

So for me, unless a new pointer comes out at some point that's better the Garrett Carrot AT is king in the gold fields and in my coin hunting park type areas.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/25/2021 at 8:37 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The only way I see that happening would be a via concerted lobbying effort by those who think that’s a good idea, so do call or write Garrett if that’s something you desire. I use a scoop personally for small nuggets, so I have to admit it’s a non-issue for me. The only time I use a pinpointer when nugget hunting is with a PI chasing a large deep target, that will likely be a nail. But sometimes….. :smile:

garrett-pro-pointer-ganes-creek-nugget.jpg

I understand the scoop thing.  It's still a great Pin Pointer for Treasure Hunting.  Thanks for the Idea, Steve!