Silver Umax On It's Way

Makes me want to break out the Ace 400! 😀 Interesting challenge... 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

I pulled out the lowly 5 3/4'' Compadre and hit a few spots.

I'm not real familiar with stock coils on most Tesoros.  Is that a concentric you have on it, or a DD?  Will you be able to swap coils between the Compadre and the Silver umax?  I do know there are 4 pin ('delta') and 5 pin ('epsilon') coil versions and I'm sure other early versions which aren't compatible with either of those standards.

• Like 1

Stock on that was round concentric.

So when are ya dusting off that Vaquero GB? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly the Compadre has a fixed concentric, That's why I wanted the umax for the coil options. In the nails you just can't beat a Tesoro.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kac said:

So when are ya dusting off that Vaquero GB?

You and dog must have stock in Tesoro.  Oh, wait,....

I missed a used 5.75" concentric on Ebay a couple weeks ago (someone took the Buy-it-now price on an auction lot).  There used to be quite a few out there, it seemed, but the source has dried up.  SeriousDetecting doesn't have them anymore.  I do have the 8"x9" conc.  Maybe I need to give that another chance.

• Like 3

Very smooth running detector. You can listen for those whispers.

• Like 1

If your in really trashy ground that has a lot of aluminum then the smaller concentric is better as it has a smaller footprint. General hunting in high iron trash the larger concentric gives you better depth and same unmasking.

I guess unmasking is probably not what is happening with concentrics vs dd's, my guess is how concentrics do a better job combining the conductivity vs trying to separate which give you the advantage to trim out the lower and still keep the target which reveals the higher conductor.

Advantage of the old analogs is first you have no numbers to squawk about and take the signal for what it is rather than not dig something because it isn't a recognizable tid.

Other advantage is the potentiometers still have a much more finite adjustment when doing a threshold based discrimination vs a digital that has blocks and at best 100 and in the case of iron much lower such as the Kruzer that has 14 for the iron range, 40 on the Garrett Apex and AT series and much lower on the Nox.

• Like 3

When searching for my next detector, I was seriously considering a Tesoro.

I figured using the "Tesoro roll" method of determining what's under my coil would be a lot of fun. And plus, I have learned to love the look of Tesoros with their knobs. Initially, I hated the look, but now I think they have a nostalgic feel almost like a post-modern form of steam punk.

I still want a Tesoro and will keep my eyes open for one at a great price. 

So congrats on the find, dogodog! When I can't detect, I've made it a "side hobby" to look for detectors at low prices (whether to flip for a profit and/or play with, but have little guilt doing so). I've realized that finding a great deal on a machine is as fun as finding silver. Ha! No, not really, but when you can't hunt, it's a nice substitute.

• Like 4

mh, I think most detectors think a $1000 machine will do it all. But that's just not the case. I have found myself starting to think that for myself at times. I some how forgot or didn't want to believe that a good old fashioned analog Tesoro detector could pull silver out of a lot of iron trash. Since I started running my Compadre again I have pulled 3 barber dimes and a barber 1/2 dollar in places where the 800 failed to find them. Not bashing the 800 I love it, ButI find Tesoro detectors wonderfully simplistic. Their disc. is spot on. People were saying only if Tesoro would have improved their design they would still be around. I think if people realized how good the design was they would still be around. Think of it this way, When was the last time you lost a call on a land line vs a cell phone. Sometimes the simple less complicated way works  out.  BEEEEP BEEEEP love that sound all day long, Nothing fancy Nothing complicated, Just another silver coin HaHa.

• Like 4