Silver Umax On It's Way

Like Sven1 said the pro's back in the day pretty much murdered the parks. I generally run my Tesoros disc high too.  I'm really only after silver around old home sites that have a lot of iron. The few parks I hunt with the exception of one yield very few silvers. If you have the resolve to not hit a signal for some time, you will end up with the the silver. Some days are very quiet and uneventful.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

On 8/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, dogodog said:

I just purchased a NIB Silver umax today. I started to use my Compadre about 3 weeks ago to cover some hunted out HaHa ground that I've been pounding with the 800. I've become aware that the 800 has a little problem masking out silver targets in areas with a lot of nails. I know some of you will tell me I'm using the wrong settings ect, ect. But after trying all the so called great settings from other users I still came up short and feeling like I missed some good targets. So for shits and giggles I pulled out the lowly 5 3/4'' Compadre and hit a few spots. Well now I saw a dramatic silver increase in some of my nail infested areas. There's a lot to be said for setting your Disc near max and just hunting the BEEP = Silver. A light bulb went off and I almost forgot how great Tesoro machines were at discrimination. So a few days ago I got the bug to find a Silver umax, for better depth. Lucky for me a member gave me a tip on a new one. As soon as I get it I will give it a good run. I think sometimes old school detectors will give the new ones a run for the money. I hope all tesoro fans take their machines for a walk once in a while, You might just have a good time.

tesoro single tone detectors with 6",or 7" concentric coils on board are "beasts " in iron
as you have determined with the compadre. if set properly, will "grab" silver in nails.
I have the "Mojave" with the 7" precision coil and use it to hunt "curb strips" with it's 180 disc. can pick out goodies in iron
all day long.compadre also has the 180 disc. beware the hunter who uses one detector, and knows it well.

(h.h.!)

j.t.

Sold My E800 and Simplex to save up for a Deus II. Took out my old Whites Treasure Pro, set to high trash with sens all the way up and found these in the backyard! Sometimes simple is a good thing. Dead quiet except for these dimes and memorial pennies. Got a 1950 Quarter the other day and another Merc too.

20211108_163219.jpg

20211108_163237.jpg

20220311_160042.jpg

20220311_160058.jpg

• Like 6

believe it or notyou don't always "need" to go deep to find good stuff!
tesoros will "grab" silver all day long with disc. set high!  outrageous in iron,and
to cherry pick with! get one that balances out the ground and have at it! the 180 disc. and 
small concentric will do the rest!  still a ton of stuff in the "junk!" go low and slow! 

(h.h.!)
j.t.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jmaryt said:

believe it or notyou don't always "need" to go deep to find good stuff!
tesoros will "grab" silver all day long with disc. set high!  outrageous in iron,and
to cherry pick with! get one that balances out the ground and have at it! the 180 disc. and 
small concentric will do the rest!  still a ton of stuff in the "junk!" go low and slow! 

(h.h.!)
j.t.

These were 2" down in Tennessee red clay. Everyone is obsessed with depth. Buy a backhoe! The larger the coin the slower it will sink due to its surface area. In face they can rise on occasion. I regret selling my Silver Saber Umax. And my Bandito. I still have a Compadre which I use often for curb strips.

2 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

The larger the coin the slower it will sink due to its surface area. In face they can rise on occasion.

I don't think 'sinking' describes the reason coins are at a certain depth, at least in most cases.  In my locations, excepting for human intervention (e.g. backfilling), IMO the depth is dominated by decaying organic matter ground cover.  FWIW, I notice no difference on depth between old USA dimes, cents, and 5-cent 'nickels'.  I've found so few silver quarters and as yet no silver halves (only a couple clad halves) that I have insufficient experience finding those long ago lost coins to provide evidence.

Back on the recent topin in this thread, a detector's separation ability is a key consideration in many (if not most) dry land sites with old coins since those are invariably accompanied by trash.  I think that is where a Tesoro (with the proper coil choice) can have an advantage over many more recently made detectors.  "The right tool for the job..."

• Like 3

On 4/5/2022 at 11:21 AM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

These were 2" down in Tennessee red clay. Everyone is obsessed with depth. Buy a backhoe! The larger the coin the slower it will sink due to its surface area. In face they can rise on occasion. I regret selling my Silver Saber Umax. And my Bandito. I still have a Compadre which I use often for curb strips.

yeah! I use my "Mojave" for the strips too!  great little sniper!  both compadre and Mojave use the 180 disc.

(h.h.!)

j.t.

Those Tesoro's are so smooth. No noise or chattering. You can go slow and listen for those good whispers.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, Rick N. MI said:

Those Tesoro's are so smooth. No noise or chattering. You can go slow and listen for those good whispers.

they will totally ignore iron if set to eliminate, and "grab" nonferrous right in the middle of it! 
isn't that what "tall money" detectors are trying to do?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...