Simplex Buggy After Downgrade To 2.77 (FIXED)

I've bounced between 2.77 and 2.78 a lot since getting my Simplex a few weeks ago trying to establish which firmware I'd want to leave on it, my 2.77 seems to work fine after the downgrade flash and I can do a factory reset no problems.  If you can't get the rom I'd be able to give you my copy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this? I bought mine on 2.77, and thought about going to 2.78 provided I could go back down to 2.77, but then I caught a video of Dilek advising not to go from 2.77 to 2.78 unless you were either new to detecting or unhappy with jumpy TID at fringe depths. Apparently 2.78 doesn’t limit the overall depth, but does limit the depth at which the machine will attempt to provide a TID. It attempts to provide one a little deeper in 2.77, which leads to a jumpy ID toward the end of its range. Newer detectorists were then reporting that the machine was unstable, particularly as compared to other entry level machines. 

• Like 1

Nothing yet. Have had some confusion with the US Nokta rep and will try and talk to him again Monday. My case seems to be isolated. After more testing, my detector is having trouble with both 2.78 and 2.77. Probably either a bad control unit or a bad data/charging cable. The original 2.78 from the factory was fine. My trouble didn't start until I replaced the original firmware. You should be fine.

I guess it probably has bad blocks on the eeprom, so when it's being flashed the image is corrupted.  Normally flash tools verify the flash though ensuring that it is fine with CRC checking and report if the flash fails.  If it is a faulty eeprom I can only imagine they'd swap out the control pod for you, not worth fixing.

Not so sure about the downgrades now. Might have a problem. Just got this from the US tech. If downgrading isn't supported it should be clearly noted or maybe not provide the downgrades on their software downloads page. They still have 2.76, 2.77, and 2.78. I explained that the same problems are present in 2.78. They said they informed Nokta and waiting for response. 

"I  spoke with Nokta, they have said that downgrading can cause these types of issues. I asked if there was anything to do to help, they said if it isn’t having issues while on v.2.78 then they recommend keeping it at V.2.78. This may have not been the answer you are looking for, and I totally understand, my hands are tied to what Nokta tells  I can do with the units. I apologize."

• Sad 1

Was told to ship my control pod back since I was having problems with multiple firmware versions. As stated above, I would be up shite creek if 2.78 was working to Nokta's satisfaction when there was clearly a problem with the unit. This has really shaken my confidence. You might want to rethink changing firmware versions. Hopefully Dilek will see this thread and help set some hard guidelines/rules about what is covered.

• The title was changed to Simplex Buggy After Downgrade To 2.77 (FIXED)