Simplex Buggy After Downgrade To 2.77 (FIXED)

This makes absolutely no sense, the way a firmware flash works is by wiping the eeprom and writing a new version onto an empty eeprom, not modifying the installed version, downgrading can not cause problems like that, it goes fundamentally against what a firmware flash does.  It's first step is erasing the eeprom then writing the new code onto it, usually followed by a verification step where CRC checksums are compared between the rom file and what's written to the detector.

I hope they're not trying to Wiesel out of a warranty.

I've also flashed up and down and around and around on mine without any issues at all.  So either mine is a freak or yours is faulty.  Pretty simple.

• Like 1

Yes, has to be a faulty unit. Only used it about 2 hours total. Just hadn't had time for it to lock up with the original version before I started changing it. The US rep also said I was supposed to rerun the firmware update for each coil. Wanted to call BS on that also but I wasn't 100% sure if the Nokta coils actually had chips in them similar to Minelab. I thought the reason for the 2.76 update was to add the 9x5 coil to the firmware. Apparently this is the only person that handles the US repairs for Nokta.

Yea, he's confused, you have to have the correct version on the detector to run the coils, not have each of the coils plugged in for it to update the coil.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yea, he's confused, you have to have the correct version on the detector to run the coils, not have each of the coils plugged in for it to update the coil.

Agree, but just to be clear, I believe a compatible coil does need to be connected to run the update properly (doesn’t matter which one just as long as the coil is compatible with the existing firmware).  But that just ensures no coil error is present so the update can proceed, has nothing to do with flashing any coil electronics.

• Like 2

Just to add some minor info to the mystery. Talked to the tech this morning. He downgraded to 2.77 and said he wasn't having any problems. I remembered that it could sit for hours and not lock up unless I was swinging a coil.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Took FOREVER to figure out the problem. Just sent it back to the tech yesterday, so hopefully can confirm soon. The threads for the coil connection are bad on the control housing. They would feel tight but weren't properly mating. Any pressure on the cable would cause the threads to pop loose just enough to cause the coil errors. I noticed the errors only showed up after standing up from finding a target. I usually grab the rod just behind the first cable wrap coming out of the housing. Me and the tech were both just walking around swinging and waiting for the error to show up ☺ 

• The title was changed to Simplex Buggy After Downgrade To 2.77 (FIXED)

Finally got it back. It got delivered to the wrong house. The connection is tight now and no more coil errors. Left it turned on in the tub last night just to be sure. I will try to email the tech and ask what he actually did to fix it. Now maybe I can finally give 2.77 vs 2.78 a try again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2021 at 6:28 AM, 67GTA said:

Finally got it back. It got delivered to the wrong house. The connection is tight now and no more coil errors. Left it turned on in the tub last night just to be sure. I will try to email the tech and ask what he actually did to fix it. Now maybe I can finally give 2.77 vs 2.78 a try again.

Were you able to get 2.77 to work? Also hoping you can share this file with me because I can’t find it anywhere:(

On 8/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, ScoTTT2 said:

I had no problems changing to the v2.77 .. I have wired waterproof headset .. maybe that makes a difference, but I don't know .. IMO the v2.77 is the better of the two .. at least it makes the machine run like I believe it should, getting the most from under the coil .. I was really unimpressed when I bought the simplex with the v2.78, there seemed to be a 'wall' (I don't know how else to describe it) which wouldn't allow the machine to detect anything deeper, or at least report anything deeper .. and I was thinking of selling it, until I made the switch .. now I kind of like it for what I use it for.

Do you still have the 277 bin file?