Rattlesnake Hill

One of my family has a farm of about 3 hundred acres 30 miles east of San Antonio Texas. For a long time they lived in what they called the old home place. I can’t say they didn’t have trouble with rattlesnakes at this are around this old house. I know one time they did kill two large rattlesnakes under a bush with about 20 baby rattlesnakes. That’s the most they killed at one time.

Being that house was getting old they built a new home on a hill over looking of what they owned. Now this has been over 40 years now. I know for a long time it was nothing just to kill 10 are more rattlesnakes each year just around their home .

The picture below is just some they killed this year.

When it’s said Things are bigger and better in Texas that goes for our rattlesnakes to. You can see theses were killed all at the same time.

Chuck 

797A382A-D299-4513-A93E-8393C0909C3E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 5

I'm assuming it wouldn't be a good idea to hunt the old home place then? 😳

Here people worry about copperheads, I know a couple of people that have been bit, and I've seen them but quite a few years ago. We have a lot of black snakes, I killed one a couple years ago that was all over my RV, but was sad afterward because she was hunting the mice that had gotten in. She was 5' long.

A lot of people here mistake the northern water snake for a copperhead, like black snakes they are more afraid of you. 😀

• Like 1

I did have a farm south of where theirs is and like you I had copperheads and lots of them. It was in different type of soil and you didn’t find very many rattlesnakes. Out there it was some of the best white tail deer hunting you could find and I’d seen more than one cougar on my place to go with the deer.

Chuck 

• Like 2

That's pretty country around there.

• Like 1

Are your Black & Copperhead snakes the same as ours.

......Aust Snakes .....

Copperhead.

AusCopperhead.jpeg.756772c8e926dcd7da945e98bd24a8a4.jpeg

Black. (red belly black)

AusBlackSnake.jpeg.b839adb99eed708f0205f6cdfd1d3975.jpeg

Australian TigerSnake.

AusTigerSnake.jpeg.92773ef44b8e27cb6c39e3302601836e.jpeg

And of course the Tipan

AusTaipanSnake.thumb.jpg.2c7ba2e23ff83434d5daaa15e10d7dac.jpg

The last one is the deadliest.

That should keep all except VANursePaul away from our Aussy Gold.🤣

• Like 6

Seen a couple of copperheads around the house of grand mothers, so I threw some moth balls under the deck with a couple more into the flower gardens. No more snakes around the house, I hate snakes just like my grandfather did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Are your Black & Copperhead snakes the same as ours.

......Aust Snakes .....

Copperhead.

AusCopperhead.jpeg.756772c8e926dcd7da945e98bd24a8a4.jpeg

Black. (red belly black)

AusBlackSnake.jpeg.b839adb99eed708f0205f6cdfd1d3975.jpeg

Australian TigerSnake.

AusTigerSnake.jpeg.92773ef44b8e27cb6c39e3302601836e.jpeg

And of course the Tipan

AusTaipanSnake.thumb.jpg.2c7ba2e23ff83434d5daaa15e10d7dac.jpg

The last one is the deadliest.

That should keep all except VANursePaul away from our Aussy Gold.🤣

Your snakes are a lot worse than ours, I'll give ya that. Our copperhead is venomous but not particularly deadly. Mostly nasty infections result, your foot will look like a soccer ball.46759486-bobbyfingers-eastern-copperhead-full.thumb.jpg.5cf8e360b5fa344156244f5611e90d05.jpg

The black snake can grow to about 8 feet, not venomous and will try to escape when seen. If it gets cornered it will bite. Infection.e-rat.thumb.jpg.b20e5ba55a2fb2884e0998fd23261cab.jpg

As for rattlesnakes, we have the western and eastern diamondback, Texas to Florida, and the timber rattle snake in the mid Atlantic. The Diamondbacks are deadly. There are other varieties.1200px-Crotalus_atrox_USFWS.thumb.jpg.d8935ae3d1a58f6fc28228252c9ca783.jpg

In my area the black snake is either loved or reviled. On one hand if you have one around your house there won't be any mice trying to get in, on the other they hang from trees, sun themselves on your sidewalk, or rest on your RV stairs. 😀 I surprise them now and again out detecting. Used to see a lot of copperheads out riding trail bikes.

• Like 4

Chuck, do y'all eat those snake or use the skins .. I once caught an 8 foot black rat snake after being told by biologists that they didn't live where I was seeing this one .. we have copperheads and eastern diamondbacks here, but I've never seen one .. many call the common water snakes, cottonmouths .. but they aren't.

• Like 2

ScoTTT2

I have never eaten rattlesnake . I don’t think anyone of the family has sold any part of them before.

Strick

I know they did plant a lot of grain and that brings in field mice and in turn brings in rattlesnakes. 
Chuck 

• Like 4