Deus Or Orx For General Coin & Jewelry Hunting?

TexHunter

I posted this on another site, but would like to hear more opinions.

Like the title says, which is better for general coin /jewelry hunting in Parks, Ballfields, Playgrounds, School yards, etc., Deus or ORX? I know that the main problem with either is probably all the aluminum trash found today in those kinds of sites, and that most hunters probably wouldn't choose either one for that activity. Don't really want to hear about other, "better", units for hunting those sites, just which would be best between these two? Anxious to hear the opinions, and how you came to that conclusion...

14 hours ago, TexHunter said:

I posted this on another site, but would like to hear more opinions.

Like the title says, which is better for general coin /jewelry hunting in Parks, Ballfields, Playgrounds, School yards, etc., Deus or ORX? I know that the main problem with either is probably all the aluminum trash found today in those kinds of sites, and that most hunters probably wouldn't choose either one for that activity. Don't really want to hear about other, "better", units for hunting those sites, just which would be best between these two? Anxious to hear the opinions, and how you came to that conclusion...

Hi,

I would choose a Deus for a single feature : the audio tones ; 5 TONES and FULLTONES for the Deus while they are limited to only 3 TONES on the Orx. For me 5 tones is a minimum . For example using 5 TONES helps me to id high conductivity targets like big copper/silver coins(  high tone) , or low cond like small hammered coins ( low tone ) . FULL TONES is even more accurate  , very interesting to id very low cond targets , like alu foils for example .

Apart from that I dont see much differences between the Orx and the Deus performances , as they are using the same coils . Their depth and separation are similar in the field for my European detecting conditions ( mild soils , low to high iron trash , coin hunting ) .

However the Deus has much more settings than the Orx . From my standpoint I only use the Deus  factory modes with very little changes of the settings  . On my Deus Lite WS4 I always use DEUS FAST  , 5 TONES or FULLTONES. I know that other forum members do use expert Deus settings and they will probably answer on this ...

HH ...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, palzynski said:

Hi,

I would choose a Deus for a single feature : the audio tones ; 5 TONES and FULLTONES for the Deus while their are limited to only 3 TONES on the Orx. For me 5 tones is a minimum . For example using 5 TONES helps me to id high conductivity targets like big copper/silver coins(  high tone) , or low cond like small hammered coins ( low tone ) . FULL TONES is even more accurate  , very interesting to id very low cond targets , like alu foils for example .

Apart from that I dont see much differences between the Orx and the Deus performances , as they are using the same coils . Their depth and separation are similar in the field for my European detecting conditions ( mild soils , low to high iron trash , coin hunting ) .

However the Deus has much more settings than the Orx . From my standpoint I only use my Deus  factory modes with very little changes of the settings  . On my Deus Lite WS4 . I always use DEUS FAST  , 5 TONES or FULLTONES. I know that other forum members do use expert Deus settings and they will probably answer on this ...

HH ...

palzynski, Thank you for the reply. I'm guessing you don't do much hunting in the sites I asked about. Unfortunately, I don't get to hunt fields very often. Your points about the differences in the two machines is appreciated...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TexHunter said:

palzynski, Thank you for the reply. I'm guessing you don't do much hunting in the sites I asked about. Unfortunately, I don't get to hunt fields very often. Your points about the differences in the two machines is appreciated...

You are right , people rather hunt plowed fields , woods and forests over here.  And less parks , ballfields , schoolyards that are usually forbidden to detectors .. 

• Like 1

I sometimes use a Deus to hunt large municipal parks, soccer fields and playgrounds for shallower coins/jewelry. The Deus is so light and easy to swing that I can cover a large area looking for recent drops very quickly. I try to stay out of the really thick aluminum trash areas unless I want to wear myself out digging pouches fulls of aluminum or spend valuable time micro-analyzing every 2 way signal, low to mid conductor target for signs of aluminum by using the edge of the coil and listening for smeared, elongated audio using the full tone Hot program. 

I don't use the factory presets for this type of hunting. I have a 5 tone custom set up Fast program and a customized  full tone Hot program next to each other in two saved slots so I can easily analyze a possible US nickel/aluminum/gold jewelry target if I need to. The audio tells me so much on the Deus when I am able to really listen.

I occasionally end up in thick aluminum trash areas and when that happens I just cherry pick for high conductor coins and jewelry. The Deus has no problem separating all of the aluminum/steel bottle cap trash. I just get tired of listening to hundreds of mid tone targets in a small area and move on elsewhere and come back another day with a different detector.

I found the ORX to be extremely frustrating to use in even moderately aluminum trashed areas. As Palzynski said, there are just not enough audio choices and settings on the ORX to allow the audio to provide the information I need unless the aluminum targets are more spread out. Full tones on the ORX would definitely help..............

• Like 5

Tiny gold/micro gold like gold earrings & fine gold chains are in the foil range. Most all gold rings and larger jewelry are above foil. 

When hunting on land Mike Hillis recommended hunting an area for gold rings first. Then if you get a gold ring then go thru hunting for micro jewelry.

The Gold Kruzer was nice in Micro mode that it had a disc and a tone break.

The Orx is a very capable coin & jewelry hunter. When I hunted in the lakes with mine I used deep mode and would dig everything from foil up. I used the 9" hf coil, 28.8 khz, sensitivity 96, recovery 2, disc 7 & iron tone off. It was nice water hunting that I could use the wireless headphones.

• Like 4

Agree the Orx is still an excellent machine , my prev. post was a little too negative about it ...  Just It is a pity that XP did not add at least 5 tones on it considering its price ( 600euros ) . At 550euros the Apex has 5 tones and the Vanquish 540 ( 440euros) has 5 tones too ...

• Like 1

Having both, I have to agree with the comments above. The ORX is a great detector but better suited to hunting more relic type sites including old home sites and house teardowns. The Deus has so many more audio features or adjustments that it make the Deus a better park, and school detector. I bought the ORX first and then decided that it, being as good as it is, the Deus with the added audio features would be that much better. I still have them both but the Deus is the detector I put to work. 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2021 at 11:44 AM, Tom Slick said:

Wow, I almost told you the Nox 800 is a better coin and jewelry detector. Glad I didn't. 😁

That's ok, as I have one of those as well. Am trying to decide if either of my XP units can also fill the bill for the type of hunting I do these days, when I want a lighter alternative. I used to relic hunt exclusively, but I just don't have the stamina to be in the field for hours these days...

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Deus Or Orx For General Coin & Jewelry Hunting?