Deus Or Orx For General Coin & Jewelry Hunting?

TexHunter

Really appreciate the responses so far.

Let me throw this into the mix. Based on the sites, and kind of hunting I will be doing, mentioned in the first post, would you suggest the 9" HF coil, or the 11" X-35 coil, as the better one for the job? Why?

I have both.

Thanks...

On 8/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, TexHunter said:

Really appreciate the responses so far.

Let me throw this into the mix. Based on the sites, and kind of hunting I will be doing, mentioned in the first post, would you suggest the 9" HF coil, or the 11" X-35 coil, as the better one for the job? Why?

I have both.

Thanks...

As it seems that lightness is important for you , the 9 HF is significantly lighter than the 11 X35 :
9HF coil weight 320g +  battery 30g 
- 11 X35 400g 

Then I would rather suggest the HF coil , which is for me the best of the XP coils . It has good depth performances on medium/big coins using the 14khz freq , and is excellent on small targets like small jewellery using higher freqs like 30khz.

The 11 X35 coil will be deeper on big coins at depth using a low freq like 5khz , so it can be an interesting coil . However a little heavier , more iron masking , and the targets are more difficult to center ( a pinpointer is required ) .

• Like 1

Yes, I would recommend the 9" hf coil.

• Like 1

Thinking more about it, maybe I should follow Tom Slick's advise and just concentrate on the 800, and sell the Deus and ORX. I doubt I'll ever be in a position to do any serious relic hunting again.

Thanks again for all the input, it's been very helpful...

The only thing is the Deus/Orx are so light making it so much easier to detector.

I was out the other day for 3 hours with the Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil and it was starting to get heavy. Even with Steve's carbon fiber shaft.

I'm thinking of going the other way and selling or trading my Equinox w/ 11" & 6" coils and using my Orx w/ 9" hf coil, T2se w/ Nel Sharpshooter coil and just bought a use Vista X w/ 3 coils.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

The only thing is the Deus/Orx are so light making it so much easier to detector.

I was out the other day for 3 hours with the Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil and it was starting to get heavy. Even with Steve's carbon fiber shaft.

I'm thinking of going the other way and selling or trading my Equinox w/ 11" & 6" coils and using my Orx w/ 9" hf coil, T2se w/ Nel Sharpshooter coil and just bought a use Vista X w/ 3 coils.

Rick, do you use the ORX for general coin/jewelry hunting in parks, schools or ball fields? I agree about the light weight of the Deus/ORX being hard to beat...

A little more infos concerning the detectors weights , as it is my speciality 🙂:

- Deus / Orx 9HF      detector total weight 750g    (  coil weight 320g + 30g battery )
- Deus / Orx 11 X35       "            "                800g    (  coil weight 400g )
- Equinox 11                   "            "               1260g    (  coil weight 420g  )

Weights measured without coil cover

Just wanted to throw this in the mix because I do it sometimes. I like the notch feature on the deus when I'm in a trashy or aluminum littered park. I may or may not leave in nickels and I usually don't leave in zinc pennies. It will find silver rings but I'm mostly just coin hunting. I can't remember if the orx has that notch set up like the deus has. 

I like the deus over the orx for the ability to do more things with the settings. It gives me more options to do what I want and I like that.😁

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:26 AM, Tometusns said:

Just wanted to throw this in the mix because I do it sometimes. I like the notch feature on the deus when I'm in a trashy or aluminum littered park. I may or may not leave in nickels and I usually don't leave in zinc pennies. It will find silver rings but I'm mostly just coin hunting. I can't remember if the orx has that notch set up like the deus has. 

I like the deus over the orx for the ability to do more things with the settings. It gives me more options to do what I want and I like that.😁

No notch on the ORX, just the conventional 0 - whatever number you stop at, will be rejected...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palzynski said:

A little more infos concerning the detectors weights , as it is my speciality 🙂:

- Deus / Orx 9HF      detector total weight 750g    (  coil weight 320g + 30g battery )
- Deus / Orx 11 X35       "            "                800g    (  coil weight 400g )
- Equinox 11                   "            "               1260g    (  coil weight 420g  )

Weights measured without coil cover

The weights that I am about to quote here are actual weights weighed by me on my scales and are not taken from published specs.

My Deus with the original shaft system (partially aluminum), 9" HF coil, coil cover WS4 module and not the bigger remote attached (since I just use the WS4 module) weighs 940 grams.

My Equinox 800 with Detect Ed shaft system, Doc's armrest cover, 11" coil and coil cover weights 1245 grams.

My experience is probably different from others. I find the Equinox 800 with this setup to be fairly easy to swing for 6 to 8 hours (I guess I am just more accustomed to it). Using the 6" coil lowers the weight to 1080 grams and I can swing that setup indefinitely.

Using my Deus setup for gold prospecting and relic hunting, since I do not use the larger remote, most of the weight is near the HF coil, its battery and middle aluminum shaft. I actually feel more arm strain with the Deus than I do with the Equinox on longer hunts.....weird.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Deus Or Orx For General Coin & Jewelry Hunting?