Deus Or Orx For General Coin & Jewelry Hunting?

TexHunter

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I already had HF coils so now I don’t have to worry about Deus ID normalization

Or, more accurately, Deus lack thereof on the HF coils.  Orx normalizes the target ID's for all coils to Deus coil 18 khz equivalents, regardless of the coil operating frequency.  On Deus, the HF coil target ID's cannot be normalized which means that as the HF coil frequency is increased the high conductive target ID's are jammed up into the upper end of the TID scale since they can't indicate higher than 99.  This is not an issue on ORX when using the HF coils and is one the advantages of the ORX.  Deus II appears to normalize target IDs across the board regardless of FMF mode selected or individual operating frequency similar to the Equinox implementation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Or, more accurately, Deus lack thereof on the HF coils.  Orx normalizes the target ID's for all coils to Deus coil 18 khz equivalents, regardless of the coil operating frequency.  On Deus, the HF coil target ID's cannot be normalized which means that as the HF coil frequency is increased the high conductive target ID's are jammed up into the upper end of the TID scale since they can't indicate higher than 99.  This is not an issue on ORX when using the HF coils and is one the advantages of the ORX.  Deus II appears to normalize target IDs across the board regardless of FMF mode selected or individual operating frequency similar to the Equinox implementation.

Yep, I don’t have to worry about ID normalization.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Deus Or Orx For General Coin & Jewelry Hunting?
12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

This minus is a plus if all you are focused on is low conductive targets. Since ORX was actually designed for nugget detecting, not park detecting, I’d be just fine with an expanded lower end while nugget detecting, though it’s not a huge deal with me. My actual preference is choice. Give me the option to normalize or not for each frequency used, as there is a good reason for doing both.

Notes on Target ID Normalization

A lot of words spent on this thread on ORX vs Deus for parks, when the easy answer is what I just said. Deus was designed for the task, not the ORX. Sure, you can get good results with the ORX in a park, but that does not answer the question. Hands down Deus is the better option, and tone options is the reason why. But there are some park folks who simply dig all non-ferrous, and ORX can certainly do this as well as the Deus.

59 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This minus is a plus if all you are focused on is low conductive targets. Since ORX was actually designed for nugget detecting, not park detecting, I’d be just fine with an expanded lower end while nugget detecting, though it’s not a huge deal with me. My actual preference is choice. Give me the option to normalize or not for each frequency used, as there is a good reason for doing both.

Notes on Target ID Normalization

A lot of words spent on this thread on ORX vs Deus for parks, when the easy answer is what I just said. Deus was designed for the task, not the ORX. Sure, you can get good results with the ORX in a park, but that does not answer the question. Hands down Deus is the better option, and tone options is the reason why. But there are some park folks who simply dig all non-ferrous, and ORX can certainly do this as well as the Deus.

I am going to slightly disagree here. The ORX was definitely not designed for US/Canadian modern aluminum trashed park hunting (not discounting parks in other nations. I just haven't hunted anywhere else). In my opinion, neither was the original Deus 1. The Deus 1 was and still is (until the Deus 2 is available for the public) the premier VLF relic (which includes older coins and jewelry) hunting detector for woods, plowed fields, pasture and open areas/beaches or habitation sites that have not been filled with modern aluminum trash and are not hampered by weird mineralization. The Deus 2 with FMF is definitely bringing underwater, modern aluminum trashed sites and moderately to highly mineralized ground into the picture in a big way.

Tex Hunter was torn between keeping his Deus 1 or ORX. I have seen his ORX is for sale. I know he is keeping his Equinox and maybe his Deus 1....

I still do not think the ORX would be the choice for ones only detector if they were hunting aluminum trashed parks. I know two gentlemen who use theirs for that purpose and I watch them struggle with deciding to dig or not. At their age and physical infirmity level, they do not want to get on the ground and dig unless they are fairly certain about the target being worth it...........they also don't want to swing a heavy detector.

However, the situation with the Deus 1 is not much better for modern aluminum trashed areas as far as target ID certainty even with all of the added audio features. The numerical target ID accuracy limitations and the lack of ID normalization for the HF coils makes it even more complicated to decide on dig or not dig for persons like the two gentlemen I referenced earlier who are looking for simpler, lighter but still effective.

I can't stress enough Steve H, how the concept of low volume level paired with high sensitivity has helped me with dealing with the original PWM Deus 1 and ORX 3 tone coin mode audio especially for modern aluminum trashed areas hunting for shallower targets. Especially on the ORX, the Coin Fast and Coin Deep 3 tone audio is similar to Deus 1 3 tone audio but with the Audio Response level maxed out. At normal (for me) volume levels the audio is just too overpowering or "can't see the forest for the trees" like. With the volume turned way down (first audible setting before complete silence on the WSAs) and the sensitivity as high as is possible for site conditions, I can actually hear enough tonal differences on 4" or shallower targets between aluminum trash, steel bottle caps and US modern coin targets to make an informed decision about digging coupled with the numerical target IDs being normalized at 18 kHz for all of the available frequency settings.

Gary Blackwell has stated in the comment section of his recent Deus 2 videos that software updates for the Deus 1 and ORX are going to be released in the first half of 2022..............maybe full tones and pitch mode will be happening for the ORX and who knows what for Deus 1.

• Like 3

Ok, I’ll correct myself. ORX was clearly marketed for prospecting. Deus for coin and relic detecting. Maybe it’s not as effective in modern parks as other detectors (I fully agree with you), but that was not the question posed by the OP. That’s the end of the story there for me. Hopefully D2 addresses the modern park scenario in a way that satisfies us both.

I’m glad my comments about lower volume were helpful. :smile: I’ve long observed that most people run way higher volume than I can stand, whereas I’ve always set as low as I can while still being able to hear things. It is a way more pleasant experience, way less tiresome, and as you seem to agree, works better.

• Like 2