Can You Make A Living Gold Prospecting With A Good Gold Detector In The Western Deserts Of The U.S.?

More curious than anything else. I would imagine if you were retired and were drawing social security or you and your wife drawing social security you could earn some nice extra money prospectng for gold with a decent gold metal detector. Maybe selling your paid up home and buying a nice truck and trailer and hit the road with wife and of course the dog.

Any ideas on what kind of average monthly income could be generated hunting say 4 hours per day, M-F?

A few years ago I could detect old placers 45 minutes from home in AZ.  I considered 2 grams a day average and it paid for gas and slowly paid off a few detectors.  Nowadays, 2 grams a week seems to be a good haul.  I don't think that there are many of us who would consider detecting as supplemental income, just a hobby with lots of exercise and fresh air.  

• Like 8

• The title was changed to Can You Make A Living Gold Prospecting With A Good Gold Detector In The Western Deserts Of The U.S.?

You could still hope for the "one step away from a million dollars" nugget. It's still possible albeit not extremely likely.... Just don't turn it into a million steps away from a dollar.😉

• Haha 4

As a newbie I had considered picking up my grandfathers detector and heading for the hills also. What keeps me grounded in reality is the knowledge in this forum and the people on it. With their wisdom and their stories that I have read over the past couple of years I know that there is no way as a newbie I could ever give up my day job.

I have used a sluice and pan for several years in the past decade, and am new to detecting, and with not knowing the detector properly know that I could ever make a living.

In a few years I will be able to retire if I want, but having said that I can tell you that without the proper knowledge, equipment, maps and luck, there is no way to do what you want.

Every time I think about going to the desert to find gold I just buy a Lottery ticket and know I have a better chance at winning from it than to find enough gold to make it worth while.

Good luck on your decision because it is totally up to you.

• Like 3

It all depends on long it takes to pay off your detector. A cheap one does not need as much gold but is a handy cap. The best requires heaps of gold but gets more gold. One thing to remember a great hit can put you well ahead but the second hit might not happen.

• Like 7