Can You Make A Living Gold Prospecting With A Good Gold Detector In The Western Deserts Of The U.S.?

If you have to ask , I would say no .

If you could answer the question , maybe .

Also a lot depends on how you live , the more stuff you want / need , the less likely you can make a living .

I made a living placer mining .

Detecting require much more knowledge / skill , basically that breaks down to the more you know , the less volume [ tones of earth ] you need to process - either placer or detecting .

• Like 2

Well said Steve. Substantial amounts of gold are hard to find and hard to recover. Really, that’s why it’s so valuable.

Mike

• Like 3

Just saw a U tube video the other day (make money clad & jewelry hunting) purchase a vanquished 440 ($220)  ( great detector) hit the Tot Lots / Sports fields 4 hours a day.

Not long you would have the detector paid off …..all profit from there on out.

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The detector is a part of this, but not the greatest part. That will probably be vehicle expense.

No kidding.. and that's not counting vehicle breakdowns.. I just managed to limp my 4x4 back home after I broke down heading for the goldfields in North Queensland.. I was planning on a month long prospecting trip with my son, but unfortunately water got into the transfer case after a few too many deep creek crossings (faulty breather).. The expense of fixing this has stopped our little expedition in its tracks.. You'd have to make a very good living out of prospecting to cover unforeseen breakdowns such as this (and also have the basic know-how to fix your vehicle when in remote areas)..     

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

I know quite a few Pro Gold miner, that the detector was their tool of trade in Aus. including my own brother in law. This was in Aus in the 1980-2003 in Victoria and 2004 - 2012 West Australia from 2012 onwards detecting has been restricted due to my wife an myself health . Note I am talking about metal detecting with out a claim or mechanical equipment like graders etc. I was asked on a few occasion to tee up with them. As I have been fortunate to have had a career in Operations of large power generation my salary exceeded 3 ounce of gold a week, but unfortunate not tax free, at times I had to pay 66% in the dollar on overtime and some of the base salary, I declined the offers.

Most of these Pro Gold miner guys had found nuggets exceeding 30+ or a kilo nuggets, but in the end they found it much easier to work for wages than prospecting in the end. If you took todays price of gold times 40 years of my wages the figures are in the millions (before tax). Even though though most of the time time the value of gold was a hell of heap less than today. When I retired early my Super Annulation was at the max of 6 times my final salary tax free, this allowed me to chase gold in West Aust. for 8 old years with out touching my Super Annulation.

My brother in-law took up the offer with thse very successful prospector that asked me to join with them. He spent 6 months and managed to get out with no lost of money, including  living costs. A few weeks later the other 2 prospector had another good hit of 20 Oz spit 2 ways (not 3 ways) that let them keep going for a couple years before they went back on wages. Note this was back in the early 1980s (When gold was everywhere) but the gold did set them up well for the rest of their life.

If you have luck and determination you can have a great time working at place that you enjoy, and not be to far out of pocket for a bit of time, but it not a winning lottery ticket that you can relieve on. Take note of what Steve has said above and decide how much you can afford to loose and taking the account the length of the workable time that can be worked ( Only 6 months max in West Aust. deserts )    ............    Good luck.   

• Like 4