Can You Make A Living Gold Prospecting With A Good Gold Detector In The Western Deserts Of The U.S.?

Even here in Africa, with only a fraction of US and Aussie activity, I'd have to echo all of the above, it's a hobby and a great one but that's all it is. I must have made eight 7-10 day trips to my patch over three years and have 4 oz to show for it. I've had a one once day, a couple of half ounce days and a whole bunch of 0.1 gram days and that's on virgin ground (albeit a very skinny virgin). These days it's getting really hard to find anything but the experience is as good as ever.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maxxkatt, I completely understand your thought process on going full time detecting for gold. I am doing this myself. To do this, you need to reduce your bills first and foremost, my wife kicked me out and divorced me, so now I live in a tent. So I have that covered. No rent or morgage. I have a plan for monetary sustainability, being first the gold I find, second income from my book sales, as I write on gold detecting. Next I will have income from writing articles on gold detecting. I will be talking about my book and gold detecting at club outings-more book sales. I have a YouTube channel called - Gold Seeker Adventures- which I will be putting out 2 videos a week, nurturing  it until it starts bearing fruit. In addition to this channel I will be doing a series of videos that will not be on YouTube but instead will be on Udemy.com, which will be a paid online training course people can take. I have been detecting, prospecting for gold since 1980 and I have alot to teach on it, same as Steve, Chris, JP and others on here. Next will be a product line on my website other than just my book. Alot of my gold will be turned into basic nugget jewelry to sell to all those impulse driven women out there at various craft shows and gold shows. This is all taking place this month hopefully, maybe next month. Now as far as detecting and utilizing my time to the best in camp. Spending at least 8 hrs a day every day will be the norm, then camp chores and then sitting down in camp and editing and uploading videos, creating thumbnails, planning the creation of new videos, this all takes a plan of action and time to do. I will be working on my next book "Strategic Gold Detecting" each night. It will be a full time job. I can't drive truck anymore as a result of a work injury,in fact I can't go back to any type of work I've done in the past 15 years. Luckily I have an Associates Degree in Visual Communications to assist with the product line and YouTube channel. What Steve and Chris said about needing the knowledge to locate gold is spot on and even having the best of this knowledge won't guarantee that you will find a sustainable amount of gold every week or every month. I will be living out of a truck and maybe a cargo trailer if I'm fortunate enough and calling it good enough from here on out. This brings up another topic to consider, if you don't already spend alot of time living out of a truck or camping for many days or weeks at a time then there may be some disappointments ahead. I have regularly lived out of a truck and sometimes a tent for many months at a time for work and play, so I know that this type of living conditions is definitely my cup of tea. If you don't already have this means of living figured out and enjoy it, then hitting the road and hitting life's bumps alone this chosen course can break you, which is probably the point where your wife jumps ship and divorces you. I have already lost mine and I will never go down that road again, so living in the mountains and deserts alone detecting for gold and writing about my experiences, strategies and knowledge to find difficult well hidden gold is more attainable without someone nagging at me about how we are living. The key to doing this is having a side gig to bring in money. If you have a business that you can run completely from a computer and  the money drops into your bank account without having to go to the bank too often then this is definitely obtainable but you still need the knowledge that Steve and Chris are talking about, and that doesn't come in a short time. Steve, Chris and myself as well as others on here know that this takes years to aquire. The idea of doing this sounds grand to the mind but anyone who choose to do this had better know what they are in for and the hardships they are going to face. Hope this helps you figure it out.

• Like 9

Another consideration to make a living gold mining would be to work for  an  existing gold mine operation  currently in production.  With the price of gold being what it is, there's plenty of opportunity out there. I know of a kid right out of high school who's working for a small "mom n' pop"  placer mining operation and gets paid a percentage of the take plus board. He is compensated very well (beyond the contract amount) as he's a hard worker and they want him to stay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ive known a number of guys that had 100k years detecting gold, but none of them had to solely rely on that gold to keep a roof over their head. It was all bonus gold. So ya you can really hit it good sometimes but its a stock market ride and it always busts at some point. No guarantees you will ever even find one more piece in your life. Gold is always spotty, inconsistent, fickle

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WesD said:

a roof over their head.

That was their mistake. Roofs are expensive along with the rest of the house to hold them up. I believe firmly that you can make a living detecting but it ain't much of a life.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Lunk said:

Thanks for the intro, GB_A.

Glad you noticed I was referring to you, Lunk.  I could have just said it directly, but there can be disadvantages to doing that.  As always your perspective is valued here, so I am (and many others are) pleased you chimed in.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m in it just for finding the next Mojave Nugget to retire and pay off all my debt at once! 🤣

Gold or no gold, just the time spent out there in the desert makes the whole effort worthwhile. Nothing beats watching a desert sunset.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Glad you noticed I was referring to you, Lunk.  I could have just said it directly, but there can be disadvantages to doing that.  As always your perspective is valued here, so I am (and many others are) pleased you chimed in.

I certainly appreciate your discretion, GB_A, thank you.

• Like 1

I'm totally with Klunker on this all you guys are making this way too complicated...You dont need a house you don't need a car (a bike maybe) ... and these days you don't even need health care because its free...technically speaking if you are feeding your self you are making a living... There are plenty out there doing it right now... WITHOUT A METAL DETECTOR 🙂

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1