Fisher F-5 Vs. F-70

Steve's spent a lot of time writing up the highlights of most detectors made in the last 20 years.  He also has more detailed reviews which are linked in the overview database.  If you haven't read the writeups on the two detectors in question, I suggest it.

One significant difference between the F5 and F70 is frequency of operation:  7.69 kHz for the F5 and 13 kHz for the F70.  That puts the F5 in the coin-detecting sweetspot (especially silver alloyed coins and copper alloyed coins, not so much for lower conductive coins) whereas the F70 is considered "general purpose", meaning it's good for finding coins but also other detecting such as natural gold and cache hunting.  "General purpose" means it's a jack-of-all-trades but at each of those many applications, a specialty detector will usually beat it at a particular application.

BTW, if you end up deciding to buy a new Fisher F70, your money is better utilized getting the Teknetics Patriot, which is the same detector except for the paint job and the coil (7"x11" DD on the Patriot; 5"x10" concentric on the F70).  If buying used, neither of these (AFAIK) has a transferable warranty so except for the coil supplied (and of course the condition), there's no difference in value.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, w.j.mccrary said:

what's a decent price for this f-70?I would say its a 8.5 out of 10?

You can get a new Patriot for $400 (might be free shipping if you buy direct from Teknetics).  Figure the second coil is worth (used) in the range of $50 to $75.  So how much should you discount to cover the fact that there is no warranty plus some wear-and-tear (8.5 out of 10)?  IMO, as long as you don't pay much (extra) for shipping, $300 sounds like a decent/fair deal.  $350 is pushing past, IMO.  I'm sure others here can give their opinions.  I follow Ebay a lot but there are other sites (and even local clubs) where metal detectors are bought and sold.  The best deals often come from those transactions.  My numbers only reflect what I see on Ebay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, w.j.mccrary said:

Hmmmm just found a F-70 with two coils I have a f-5 already.This f-70 has other bidders so what's a decent price for this f-70?I would say its a 8.5 out of 10.Thank you.

Based on what used F70s and F75s can go for on eBay, I wouldn't touch a used F70 for more than $250. That's assuming the warranty is not transferrable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I wouldn't touch a used F70 for more than $250.

With two coils?  (I'm assuming the two coils are the 5"x10" conc. and the 7"x11" DD.  I don't think W.J. specified....)

23 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

With two coils?  (I'm assuming the two coils are the 5"x10" conc. and the 7"x11" DD.  I don't think W.J. specified....)

This might be the listing he's referring to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384324313192?hash=item597b83a068%3Ag%3AptEAAOSwhj1hFAnV&LH_ItemCondition=4

And yes, even with 2 coils. It's so hard to sell used metal detectors, unless it's a Deus or Equinox, basically.

If time is of the essence, that's one thing. But if you can wait a few months to buy your machine, I don't think you should buy that detector I linked to unless you could get everything for $250 or less.

Keep in mind what a used F75 will go for, too. Of course, and F75 isn't an F70, but performance-wise, they are comparable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

Based on what used F70s and F75s can go for on eBay, I wouldn't touch a used F70 for more than $250. That's assuming the warranty is not transferrable. 

There is no assuming......the warranty will not be transferable. It is 5 years and applies to the original registered buyer only. With the second coil I might go $275, tops especially if shipping costs are added on. 

There are so many different versions of the F75 that you have to shop carefully. The discontinued F70 did not have variants and the currently produced Teknetics Patriot which is exactly the same detector are somewhat different from all of the F75s. They weight less by half a pound and at least where I detect, they are more stable. If I really wanted an F70 I would not hesitate to buy a  Teknetics Patriot new from Amazon or Teknetics Direct since the 5 year no questions asked warranty is worth the extra $99 in my opinion. I have used that warranty on several FTP detectors in the past.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:26 PM, GB_Amateur said:

The two coils are 11"x 7'' and the 5" shooter coil and have added a 9.5"x 5" Nel coil.Gave $ 246🙂

• Like 1