Small Gold Dredge, Constructive Advice Needed?

Hmmmm...many years ago while living at home, we had a backyard pool, like late 1970 era...I seem to recall being about blind without my glasses, UNTIL I put on a facemask...and everything underwater was clear as could be...but when I popped up above the water, was back to being a big blurry image...Another issue I cringe about is the water itself... a lot of swim beaches in our area get closed every year due to bacteria counts being too high.Is this true in slow moving rivers and creeks too? I see hookah divers with regulator hanging in the water when not in use and all I can think of is bacterial infections and my poor gut issues...do you pros ever have issues like this in reality or am I  worrying too much?  I will try to stick with shallow gravel areas or use my shovel if need to go deeper. The shovel blade is bent up on 3 sides to form a scoop and gravel cannot slide off the back.

Yes, don't get in nasty water.

In Alaska the water is fairly good but you still need to process it before you can drink it. Also I would not get in anything that has algee in it. You can end up with skin issues.

For shallow water dredging you can use a snipping scope to good effect. Check this one out it has a light built in and is inexpensive. http://goldsucker.com/

post-10-0-38490500-1455473835_thumb.jpgpost-10-0-20652100-1455473888_thumb.jpgpost-10-0-04636900-1455473913_thumb.jpg

I got the major parts of the dredge tack welded together today,hope to test float soon, maybe this weekend, sposed to be 55 on Sat.Guess I better attach my pull rope so the river don't take it. I had a lift handle installed at the discharge end, wonder where to put one by the engine? Are side rails helpful like on Keene frames? Where/how to mount tool box / 1 gallon gas can holder?

Current weight with sluice, frame, floats, pump approx 50 pounds, hoses and etc will add another 20-25 perhaps. Sluice detaches via 2 wingnuts and bolts or can be slid up /down frame for more or less angle thanks to the slotted angle irons I used ....will try to get a river photo soon..I don't like pumping water in our local river as it smells like dead fish for some reason...wonder why my 2 photos refuse to open now?

-Tom

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

ok guys, she is all welded up and ready for trial runs.I took Bobs and Jasons advice and put in Keene riffles. Keene did a horrible job on the riffle tray, 1/8 inch gaps under the dredge riffles and 3/8 inch gaps under the stream riffles in front. I cut out the 1st 3 stream riffles and had 1 welded back in, minus the huge gap. I made some steel flats to rivet onto the dredge riffles and eliminate the 1/8 inch gaps. Miracle mat installed in 1st 12 inches,  2 feet of moss and carpet underneath the 30 inches of 1/8 inch raised expanded steel under the riffle tray and holding down the 1st 3 inches of Miracle mat. Why do miners like to put in a Perforated metal screen at the front of the riffle section? I will try it without the Perf and see what happens. I raised up the Miracle mat with moss underneath to keep the flow less turbulent.. Had a rail welded almost all the way around, easy to grab onto , 2.5 inch sluice box slope built in,approx weight  80 pounds ,rope tow handle.Does it make any difference what end of the drege the tow rope is on? Am using a nozzle I got off Ebay with a crevice buster built into it via a ball valve,has anybody else used one of these? Need 70 degree warm water for my 60 year old bones before I can jump in the creek yet.

It rained real hard today and a pond formed in the backyard so I dragged the dredge back there, and she floats perfect, nice and level.

Ready4TrialRunsToms2 inch gold dredge,Mar 2016.jpg

Toms2inchgolddredgeTopViewMar2016.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made a small acquisition yesterday. 2 x 2 foot sheet of HEAVY Raised Expanded aluminum that sits 5/16 inch tall

to try out in my dredge and hibanker riffles. I had a small section of this stuff  in my mini highbanker, always wondered why it did so well at catching fine gold with just an 18 inch x 7 inch sluice? Then I noticed I had a 12 inch long piece of this super duper raised expanded aluminum in it .Was almost impossible to find it online and locally. Wasn't cheap, cost 80 bucks with shipping for a 2 x 2 foot piece. But the strands are 1/8 inch thick x 3/16 inch wide, diamonds approx 5/8 inch x 1 3/8 inch, overall Height 5/16 inch vs my normal 1/8 inch tall expanded.Should be able to take a good beating in the dredge sluice.Cuttable with small Sawzall or handheld grinder.

Hard2Find, 0.30 inch Thick raised expanded Aluminum for gold dredge sluice.jpg