How Many Unsearched Coin & Relic Sites Are Still Out There?

there are a few places I hunt where the coinage is at the depth limits of the T2, but the dates on the coins I recover from there aren't at the limit of the history that coin could have been dropped there .. I know there are still coins deeper .. one place comes to mind where the olditmers stop to see what I have dug .. they all dug this place out many years ago, but I'm still finding enough to make it a regular stop .. but private properties, I would guess haven't even been dented .. there is more private property that hasn't been hunted than has been .. and millions of dollars of face value in coins just sitting, waiting to be dug .. like coins, the same holds true with caches .. there is way more in the ground than have been dug from the ground

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm just getting started and don't expect it to be a lazy read, so I can't yet give a review.  But I like his attitude.

I haven't as yet ordered this book because of some of the reviews I read on Amazon, the most popular stating that the book concentrated more on finding large caches of "treasure" like coin hoards and such moreso than how to search a cellar hole or read the land.

I can only hunt permissions where I am, there are no parks and few schools. I tried to get a county permission but was faced with talking to and dealing with the people I would least like to have anything to do with. Permissions are great but limited in that I'm not sure I'm going to find much else after working most of the places I have permission to. I'm pretty sure that the Equinox once familiar is a fine tool to find whatever is there.

Perhaps there will be some great advancements in the future, and maybe I can find some references that help me discover a whole new level of detecting.

Where I live there are unlimited possibilities to find un-hunted ground, but one's reputation comes into play. Everyone knows everyone here, and one misstep will shut one out from all of it.

This brings to mind one particular day I was searching an old home place (long gone) that I was pretty much the only one who knew it existed from my research into old aerial photos. I had pretty much found all I thought I could find, but looked around the land and thought if I was a farmer, and it was near the end of the day here, I was hot and tired of plowing, where would I rest before going back home? I saw a large tree about a half mile away throwing shade on the farm, and sure enough found a half Reale near it, and I think a wheat penny. The Reale made the day.

I'd like to see a reference that discusses land reading, how to find old places and who owns them, and a collection of websites that one can gain information from. I've gleaned this information from many sources, but like there is no "be all end all" detector in sight, there will probably be no such reference.

Heck maybe I should write it eventually. 🤔 But I'm just getting started.

I await your review GB, it would be much appreciated. 🙂

• Like 4

I think there are a lot of places. You get where you think you have hunted all the place you can think of. And another person has different places to detect that you didn't know about.

• Like 1

Also a detector that can see thru iron and emi isn't an issue. That would make all sites hunted out. Except for the deep targets beyond the detectors capability. I wonder if Minelab is working on this?

I think we are seeing the first itineration of such a detector in the Tarsacci MDT. The 8000 is the Model T. I wonder what the Skyliner, or even the Model A will be able to do?

Here in the NE there are almost no areas untouched by detectors. Finding silvers is tough and takes perseverance and bit of research. Majority of my finds are in high trash and the most discouraging parts that either the older machines couldn't work through or there was enough junk to hide the good stuff. Knowing the landscape and bit of history helps but also coil choice can be critical. Most the deepest coins are less than 10", well within the detectors range and of course people forget you only hear what is on top. If a coil is too big it gets smothered, too small you may not hear the fringe targets.

I watch all the new machines come out and wonder when people say it brought life to an old site if the mere fact that they hit the area again with an unfamiliar machine made more of a difference than the performance of the machine itself. Good example is I hit an old RR line with the Apex. Snagged a  V nickel and IH. Went out with the Tejon same area picked up another V nickel. The net last time out I took the Apex again and found an IH I missed. So I can clearly say that changing the machines made me pay attention more than actual performance though the Tejon breezed through that area nice and quiet.

• Like 7

I've found virgin stage stops and virgin country picnic sites, even up to and within the last decade.   But it depends on how "Thick" you expect the pickens-to-be.   Also another frontier of "virgin" is old town demolition tearouts.    If you're right there when old town sidewalks are ripped out, or an oldtown park is scraped for renovations, then that's virgin territory.

But gone are the days of the late 1970s to early 1980s, where it was possible to walk into ANY old city park, and effortlessly pull silver coins at will.  I pity the poor newbie now, who waltzes out to the same parks that used to be easy-pickens for us "back in the day".   Now they are a wash of zinc pennies and cr#p, that I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole now .

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, kac said:

Majority of my finds are in high trash and the most discouraging parts that either the older machines couldn't work through or there was enough junk to hide the good stuff.

Or the site was too challenging for the detectorist and s/he threw in the towel.  (I've heard of this happening from stories by the superintendant of the park I hunted all of 2020.)

47 minutes ago, kac said:

I can clearly say that changing the machines made me pay attention more than actual performance

There was a post here by author and blogger Dick Stout a couple (maybe more) years ago where he said something similar -- that the reason people make finds with new detectors is because their lack of familiarity with the new toy leads them to do things differently, more carefully, more experimentally, digging things they wouldn't normally dig just out of curiosity as to what caused the odd response, etc.

I've found even shallow, clean signal coins in places I'd hunted previously with the same detector.  I could argue I knew the detector better or had the right settings this time, but the Occam's Razor reason is that I just hadn't gotten my coil over that target, and that's because my coverage isn't what I wanted, hoped, or thought I executed.  I used to think when I found similar good&easy targets that it meant no detectorist had been there before.  Now I know that conclusion takes much stronger evidence.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to How Many Unsearched Coin & Relic Sites Are Still Out There?