How Many Unsearched Coin & Relic Sites Are Still Out There?

When looking for un-hunted sites I have looked at old maps of areas just to see what places used to look like.

I have hunted where a town used to be, because they moved the entire town to be close to the railroad tracks. They moved the town during the mid 1800's and most people forgot about it. I would go up to the farmers and ask if I could use my detector where the town used to be and they never knew that it was there. I got permission from several of the farmers and have pulled some nice items from there.

So I always say to research, research, and do more research to find a good place.

There are many untouched places yet to be discovered by a detector even here in the Mid-West.

And yes we have nice gold here just waiting to be pulled out of the ground.

• Like 8

Here is Aus using old maps put me on some very old racetracks in the rural areas. Most were old farming areas although the number of coins were down the value of them was very high and rare.

• Like 8

Many of the old areas here have been developed on. Nearby town had a civil war training site and the historic farm sold most of that land off to developers leaving small wooded patch on the corner. There are countless examples like that here especially in the wealthier towns as money usually bends the rules.

• Like 5

Here development isn't much of an issue, my county in particular has in place mechanisms to prevent new development that go way back.

The problem here is that what you leave alone the earth takes back hard. It's no surprise that most of my area is farmland, it is surprisingly fertile. Turn your back on a bit of yard and bam it's a jungle. In order to keep a couple of my permissions I have to mow them and maintain them myself.

Late fall to about mid spring is the best time to hunt here, but the place is loaded with other types of hunters. Luckily I know the locals and they all seem nice. They let me do my thing and I let them do theirs. Just don't wear a brown hoodie or antlers! 😳 Stay in the open and wear something blaze orange.

Many of the old houses like the one I am currently visiting are so completely overgrown it is impossible to get a detector in there, and a really strong root shovel (Predator) is a requirement along with a pruner and maybe a lopper. If you're lucky the owner bush hogs it once in a while. If you're even luckier the owner will let you cut brush. Matter of fact I can't think of one locally that would mind free maintenance 🙄

Not complaining, just observing. 😀 There are millions of relics and coins available as I see it, it's just getting at them.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Late fall to about mid spring is the best time to hunt here, but the place is loaded with other types of hunters.

My favorite times to go detecting where I live are September through April, and maybe into May.  Summer -- with combo of heat, humidity, and direct sunlight -- are trying.  I'm sure many (especially Australians) would relish my 'cool' summers but I'm spoiled.  Our Southern Indiana winters are not like further north.  The ground rarely freezes anymore (not the case in the recent pre-Gwarming past) and as long as it's above freezing (majority of winter days) and not windy, I can stay warm.  No leaves on trees, grass not growing, no poison ivy (except for the stems/branches), a lot fewer people in the parks, damp but not soggy ground -- nearly perfect detecting conditions.  (Depending of the site, I may need to push or rake leaves out of the way.)  I still have to find unsearched or undersearched sites, though....

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Many of the old houses like the one I am currently visiting are so completely overgrown it is impossible to get a detector in there....

I see that a lot when I drive around the rural areas.  Time for you to buy a bush hog with your detecting spoils??

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I see that a lot when I drive around the rural areas.  Time for you to buy a bush hog with your detecting spoils??

Haha, if I sold it all I'd probably make enough to get a new pinpointer 😀 I'm hoping for that big money find but not hard. I'm glad to have something to do that keeps my mind sharp.

Here the corn may be harvested mid October, but the beans are picked up closer to December. Most land owners bush hog by mid/late November so they only have to do it once. My last yard mowing is around Thanksgiving.

I want to go to some of the beach campgrounds in October, got one lined up anyway. I'm still the only detectorist that ever inquired. Usually the rules are much less strict then. That's all modern coins however, for the bush hog. 😀

• Like 5

Nearby to where I live they created a Large hydro dam, in doing so they flooded a town to do it, this town started as a gold mining town in 1862 and turned into quite a big town by the 1980's when this all started taking place.  They moved a few of the buildings up to higher ground to make a heritage precinct to remember the old town and then let the water in to form a lake.  

A little bit of info on it

https://thecuriouskiwi.co.nz/blog/2013/the-town-that-drowned/

This guy made a bit of a youtube documentary out of it, prior to the town being flooded he made it his mission to go and photograph every building in the town center so he'd have a memory of the old town

And these guys do a video diving in the lake and show the towns two old bridges underwater, there is still a car on one of the bridges.  As the town was flooding people were standing on these bridges watching the water flood the area, some got up to their knees before deciding it was time to leave, they're now deep under water.  I don't know why someone left their car on the bridge, maybe they couldn't get it out in time.

I can just imagine the metal detector finds you could get in a scenario like that, you can guarantee it was never once detected before it was flooded and I highly doubt it's been detected ever.  I guess it just can't be done, there would now be a layer of silt over everything and it'd just be too hard to do.  There would be silver coins everywhere, and no doubt some gold sovereigns too, and who knows what else.

And for anyone interested this area was quite heavily dredged in the 1800's and right up into the 1990's.   This is a little bit of a documentary about it.  They did get a lot of gold from this area and it's still where I go beeping today.

There is just so many untouched places to use in a detector in NZ, I hear you guys in the US saying everywhere has had a detector over it and it just seems unimaginable here.  Tiny little 5 to 20" coils and so much ground to cover, especially when it comes to gold prospecting.  But even coin hunting, I doubt I'd be able to cover all the spots where coins could be lost in my lifetime.  I guess it helps with a smaller population and far less people swinging beepers.  For me it feels like when I go coin hunting, I'm stepping back in time to the USA in the 1960's as not a day would go by where I couldn't go out and find a old silver coin, often many.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

this post got me to thinking, and it is a little out of the box .. but many pour over the old maps, as I do, and even to some degree the same history books .. one thing that always has got my attention was the old photos of the late 1800s and early 1900s .. everyone of the photos that show any amount of landscape show there were almost no trees .. the lumber booms of that time completely wiped the place clear .. hard to believe it now, but that is what those pictures show .. so, if I was going to the next town over on foot how would I do that? .. follow the wagon trail or straight as the crows fly? .. and if I was doing that I would guess many also did the same .. and there would be stopping points .. mostly, none of this would be on a map .. and I haven't heard of anyone looking for these places .. maybe they couldn't be found as the woods have since regrown .. but there has to be hundreds of those spots, just in my county alone .. x57 counties in NY = a lot of un-hunted spots

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ScoTTT2 said:

this post got me to thinking, and it is a little out of the box .. but many pour over the old maps, as I do, and even to some degree the same history books .. one thing that always has got my attention was the old photos of the late 1800s and early 1900s .. everyone of the photos that show any amount of landscape show there were almost no trees .. the lumber booms of that time completely wiped the place clear .. hard to believe it now, but that is what those pictures show .. so, if I was going to the next town over on foot how would I do that? .. follow the wagon trail or straight as the crows fly? .. and if I was doing that I would guess many also did the same .. and there would be stopping points .. mostly, none of this would be on a map .. and I haven't heard of anyone looking for these places .. maybe they couldn't be found as the woods have since regrown .. but there has to be hundreds of those spots, just in my county alone .. x57 counties in NY = a lot of un-hunted spots

There happens to be a road right next to the one currently in use here that cuts through the farm in from of my house. I've found lots of buttons and old buckles where that road used to be - even coins and parts of coins from the 1700s.

For the most part the original roads here are now paved. That one was not.

• Like 3