How Many Unsearched Coin & Relic Sites Are Still Out There?

40 minutes ago, ScoTTT2 said:

If you go asking permissions .. go with the idea that anything you find belongs to the landowner

I think that's what I'm going to have to do with my brother-in-law (and other people I get permission from, too). The brother-in-law situation is different b/c of the distinct possibility of a significant find(s).

• Like 4

Just now, mh9162013 said:

I think that's what I'm going to have to do with my brother-in-law (and other people I get permission from, too). The brother-in-law situation is different b/c of the distinct possibility of a significant find(s).

Yeah this is a stepson-in-law. 🙄 Kinda odd deal. He's a good guy though.

10 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

That just conjurs up images of legal hassles

The legal hassle isn't even the worst part. The worst part is the uncertainty. No matter how ironclad a contract is, there's always a chance it doesn't stand up in court. Maybe it's because you get a rogue judge. Perhaps there's some technicality that not even a $1,500-an-hour attorney from Cravath would have been able to catch. Either way, there's still a tremendous amount of uncertainty.

The whole point of a contract is to reduce uncertainty. But in the context of metal detecting, they often don't provide the reassurance that most people think they will provide. 

• Like 2

I've been asking permission since I was 8 years old .. in those 52 years I have a better than 80% success rate .. one of the first guys I asked to detect their property took everything I found .. even though I would have liked to keep the good finds, I made out like I was really happy to give it to them .. he then passed my "skill set" around to his neighbors, and everyone of those neighbors granted me permission .. one of those properties turn out to be a much better hunt .. and they let me keep it all .. finding a valued find for a family member, that they didn't know they had, will go along way .. even if you need to bite your tongue and smile .. I'm a firm believer in karma.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, ScoTTT2 said:

I'm a firm believer in karma.

I hear ya. Whenever I hunt a private permission, I always try to go out of my way to pick up any loose trash that might be in or on their yard. When I show them my finds, I also make sure they can see the trash I picked up. Not to get brownie points, but to leave a good impression and "pay it back" so to speak.

I also always offer to show them my finds. I don't offer to give it back to them, but if they ask to keep it, I let them (of course). (Un)fortunately, of the permissions I've gotten so far, the best/most I've found are a few clad coins. So there's never been a potential issue of any disagreement over who keeps what.

But you can sometimes get a "feel" for what a property owner will expect or demand when you find something. I have one neighbor that I may get a permission from very soon since I got him interested in the hobby and he's asked me to come over and help him with his new machine. But I've talked to him before and I get the strong feeling that if I found anything in his yard, he would expect to keep it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Good post.  

I always tell them :  "You're welcome to anything that's found" .  And I've never had anyone actually truly scoop up everything.   I'll usually have a token, or a key-date-seated, or rare button that I'll push off to the side of the pile.  And will say "... Here's one I don't have in my collection.  Is it alright if this one is for me ?".   And I've never had anyone say "no".

Besides :  99% of our hobby is just show & tell anyhow (eg.: bragging rights, fun, etc....).   So you can always take pix of the stuff, and always have pix to showcase for your collection.   Good enough.

And as far as "contracts" :  The LAST thing you want to do, is to show up on someone's doorstep with contracts for them to sign, and talking about "splits" and so forth.  That just conjurs up images of legal hassles.  And is the FASTEST way to get a "no".   A smile & a handshake is all it needs.

Hmm Tom that seems bit out of character, wouldn't be better to take picks of the finds, put the finds back in the hole, show the pics to the owner then charge a small fee to get them back? Owner keeps the finds and you make some $$$ and also have the pics for bragging rights, win win to me right?

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kac said:

Hmm Tom that seems bit out of character, wouldn't be better to take picks of the finds, put the finds back in the hole, show the pics to the owner then charge a small fee to get them back? Owner keeps the finds and you make some $$$ and also have the pics for bragging rights, win win to me right?

"Malicious compliance"

Love it!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have found with my Nox 800 by discrim out all below 23-24, recovery speed up around 6-7 and sensitivity down around 18 I can still pull old coins out of a heavily used county park that is full of modern trash. If you use the threshold audio it sounds like a machine gun. But with these settings the 800 is still able to pull out old corroded coins that have been missed over the years. I have hunted this park for about 3 years with my AT Pro and at least a year with my 800 (before I really knew how to set it up for a really trashy park) and rarely found any older coins during that time period.

It is nice to discrim out a lot of the modern junk below 23. Still get some screw caps, but they are not anywhere as numerous as the pull tabs and pop tops.

As others have said the 800 if set up properly can find previously masked targets which in a sense almost coverts the old park back into a virgin. Remember I said "almost".

• Like 3

• The title was changed to How Many Unsearched Coin & Relic Sites Are Still Out There?