Headphones, Right Or Left, Does It Matter?

damatman88

I just received my Pelso headphones and really like them! The thing I noticed was that there was no right or left designated on the ear pieces as all other headphones have. Does it matter which way I wear them on the Nox? I didn't know if the signal / target would be affected by this. I did figure out which ear is which by plugging the Pelso's into my phone and watching a YouTube video that has audio to determine right and left channel. The cord on the Pelso's would have to be worn on the left, which is the right channel. This makes the cord on the opposite of where I would like it for connection purposes. Any thoughts?

Almost all wired headphones have the cord on the left.

• Like 1

I am just guessing here, but I can't imagine the coils are reporting stereo encoded signals to the control pod, so I would surmise that the audio signal to the headphones is dual mono. In that case it shouldn't matter which way you wear them. Try them (the headphones) on a test target and then flip them around. You'll be able to tell if it's a stereo signal because each ear will sound slightly, but noticeably different. If there's no change in sound, they are dual mono and can be worn whichever way you want.

As a side note, imagine how much more accurate detecting and pinpointing would be if detectors reported stereo infomation from the coil. You would be able to tell which side of the coil the target was on and zero in on it with precision. 😎

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I am just guessing here, but I can't imagine the coils are reporting stereo encoded signals to the control pod, so I would surmise that the audio signal to the headphones is dual mono. In that case it shouldn't matter which way you wear them. Try them (the headphones) on a test target and then flip them around. You'll be able to tell if it's a stereo signal because each ear will sound slightly, but noticeably different. If there's no change in sound, they are dual mono and can be worn whichever way you want.

As a side note, imagine how much more accurate detecting and pinpointing would be if detectors reported stereo infomation from the coil. You would be able to tell which side of the coil the target was on and zero in on it with precision. 😎

That would be such a sophisticated coil design no one is willing to pay I think.

I don't think it will make any difference unless the machine is detecting guitar solos with lots of panning like EVH etc.....LOL Wear 'em which ever way you feel more comfy with.

I'd be concerned with signal delay when using Blue Tooth wireless models but left/right will only be needed when detectors come in stereo..which I don't think any do ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you are concerned about it, hook them up to a stereo and find out which one is Left, and then mark it.

There are no stereo detectors unless you have one in each hand, and even then you will only hear just one of them.

• Like 2

Gteat Idea Valen's L !

One detector in each hand ! 

A 6K and a NOX  ,,,,,,,,,probably find each other fer sure !

Now ,,, we just need a volunteer to try it out ! 

Where'd Calabash go to ? Heeeyyyyyy Simon ...

• Like 1

There are detectors with visual screens that can map out and show the shape of a target you are detecting, so one with surround sound stereo could add a bit extra to it- like alerting you of what you missed and is already behind you!

• Haha 5

What is so magic about left vs. right when it comes to hearing?  Maybe a symphony orchestra has a convention that certain instruments are on the left and others on the right.  But even there, why should it matter?  Left brain vs. right brain?

With my ML Equinox and its WM08 receiver attached to wired headphones, if I put the WM08 in a right breast shirt/coat pocket then I put the earphone with its attached cord on my right ear.  Otherwise, on the left.  I don't even know if the Eqx has stereo or mono output, but, again, why should it matter?

• Like 2