Jewelry Detecting

My motto is swing what you want to swing.  The beauty of metal detecting is you don't know what you missed so you can't be upset by it, it's only when you find out what you've missed you want to upgrade 🙂

The Equinox has proven itself to many now and it's true beauty is it's a real multi purpose detector, one detector that can do so many things and do them well.    It isn't the absolute best at them all, but it's not far off it and if you were only going to have one detector to use, it's a very sensible choice.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Jewelry Detecting

Old thread I missed here and a good one. I have found gold on all my machines including earings and chains. The problem I have more is being able to pick a piece of gold out of high aluminum trash and believe no detector is the silver bullet in that area. Jewelry especially on land is often mixed in where there is high human activity and where there is high human activity there is high trash.

With that being said, a machine with a smaller coil, mid to high frequency (15khz+), quick recovery and if possible a simple notch discrimination to knock out a common target in the area. I have found for instance a particular aluminum tab will be similar in an area where people gather so being able to knock out just that tab in that area is a big help. Of course any discrimination you risk loosing good targets but also running a gold machine like the Gold Bug or Gold Racer in high trash areas will be exhausting to pick through. A dd coil will have better target separation than a concentric.

So to suggest a Nox you may want to also suggest the 5x10 or 6" coil as well.

Smallest bit of jewelry I found was 10k earing hook at .06g with the Gold Racer and that didn't sound big at all, boarded just above the iron break and I had the coil scuffing the ground. More luck than anything.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, PPP said:

I have the Equinox 600 and love it.The point is that you have to dig out one million pull tabs and junk in the park to find gold anyway.Beaches is something else,a bit easier to find gold.

If you have a descent notch system you can snipe out particular pull tabs or at least make their tone break up. When jewelry hunting I pay more attention to signals that sound more like foil or have the softer roll tone. Some machines are better at that than others. Can slaw is where it gets tough for me but often that is in patches.

In general I have found that chains are really tough, often like foil with dodgy signals depending if they are strung out or balled up. Small earings range from foil to below nickels. Small and thin rings are at or below nickels. Wedding bands often above nickels. Class rings up with ring pull tabs. Platinum seems to have a stronger signal than gold but I only found one plat ring and it was fairly large and came in above nickels.

Higher k value will be higher on the machine but not always. Thin 10k rings can be in the foil range. Rings in general will have consistant numbers on the VDI but may have different ranges depending on orientation, ie one direction the last ring i found range in at 47-48 and another direction it was 48-50 but importantly the numbers were repeatable.

Trick for me when hunting in trashy areas it to isolate the target before I even begin to start watching the display. I want to make sure I am dead on that target and no other targets are being picked up.

Does seem like your close to the million pull tab per ring at least it sure feels like that at times :)

• Like 5

On 8/18/2021 at 2:27 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Now to be honest most folks are not good enough to find a gold stud but a gold ring is actually pretty easy

I think the Nox has changed that, I've not found a gold stud in 6 years now, that's just about how long they have been out. The Nox has helped everyone of my friends who use them, now as far as gold rings being pretty easy, must be the location for everyone of them have been complaining about there gold ring count for years. I am not a Nox lover but anyone asking me where to start.. I'm going to tell them the Nox.

• Like 4