Jewelry Detecting

11 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

the Minelab Equinox 600 would do you best.   it's my # go to for jewelry hunting for some of my Field Staff and I.  

My reasoning - it's 100% waterproof, r

Gerry, is the 600 waterproof, as I thought the 800 was.

Just want to know so I don't say something wrong about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Gerry, is the 600 waterproof, as I thought the 800 was.

Just want to know so I don't say something wrong about it.

Yes, both the EQ-600 and EQ-800 are advertised as 100% waterproof.

• Thanks 1

What detector do you own now?    Its not really the metal detector that makes the difference for most jewelry finds.    A cheap Bounty Hunter Tracker IV would find almost everything in the displayed pictures above.   You only need something special for the tiny gold jewelry items.   

Why don't you hunt for a while with what you own and spend sometime figuring out what you really need.

Good Luck,

MIke

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

What detector do you own now?    Its not really the metal detector that makes the difference for most jewelry finds.    A cheap Bounty Hunter Tracker IV would find almost everything in the displayed pictures above.   You only need something special for the tiny gold jewelry items.   

Why don't you hunt for a while with what you own and spend sometime figuring out what you really need.

Good Luck,

MIke

Mike,  We know you are not a fan of the Equinox detectors, but come on, lets be real.  That comment you made is not even close to the truth.

1st off "most jewelry finds" are from salt beaches and you/I both know the average detector will not stand a chance to an Equinox in salt water.  Most detectors are not even waterproof.

2nd is black sands and other soil mineralizes of so many fresh water lakes, the Bounty Hunter you speak of does not have the technology found in the $650 Equinox 600 to get best performance in varying soils.  How about hunting the lake around pier's and seeing all the rusted iron targets from the many nails around piers and docks.  The BH processor speed is nothing like an EQ.

I'm not saying the Equinox is the best jewelry detector, but recommending a BH is just silly.

You use many detectors and enjoy them for their different tasks, but yet you refuse to learn the Equinox?

Yes everyone should run out and by some Bounty Hunter detectors so they can find the majority of jewelry in my pics.  Just make sure the jewelry is floating in air so the BH can see it with no issues.  That's right, the BH is just as good and that's why so many jewelry hunters are sharing their jewelry finds.  Not...

The original poster didn't ask for input on the detector he currently owns, he asked for input on a detector in the $600 to $800 range.  That's exactly what I recommended to him.  He mentioned he has been detecting for several yrs, so telling him a $199 BH is just as good as an Equinox?  

Here is where I might come close to agreeing with your reply Mike.  If he said he wanted to hunt jewelry in parks and ball fields, then yes the majority of detectors, including the cheap BH's would be fine.

Either way, we all have an opinion (including me) and sometimes it just comes from the wrong end.

• Like 3

Hi Gerry,

My point was simply that rather than rush out and buy something to hunt for something he doesn't seem to have any experience hunting, if he currently has a detector,  even if it was only the little lowly BH Tracker IV, he should spend some time hunting his desired targets with it and figure out what he would really want to be different in his detector.  He might find he doesn't need anything more than what he already has.  Or he will figure it out and create a wish list of the features he wants in his dedicated gold detector and then go shop feature sets.   

Course if he doesn't already own a detector, then I recon a Nox 600 is a good starting point.

Not trying to steer him to a BH, not trying steer him away from a Nox , not trying to block a sale from you.   Just giving some honest advice.

Good luck.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

The Nox can hunt  for   both old coins and all types of jewelry with  way  above average results and in many different situations. How many machines can make this  claim.The reason the Nox is such a success is because it gives you a better chance of having a good hunt compared to most machines and at a  good price for what you get with it.If you put on the 11'' coil it hunts for silvers like a champ.You can then put on the 6'' coil and hunt for  nuggets  and small jewelry as good as most vlf machines  from what I am seeing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Hi Gerry,

My point was simply that rather than rush out and buy something to hunt for something he doesn't seem to have any experience hunting, if he currently has a detector,  even if it was only the little lowly BH Tracker IV, he should spend some time hunting his desired targets with it and figure out what he would really want to be different in his detector.  He might find he doesn't need anything more than what he already has.  Or he will figure it out and create a wish list of the features he wants in his dedicated gold detector and then go shop feature sets.   

Course if he doesn't already own a detector, then I recon a Nox 600 is a good starting point.

Not trying to steer him to a BH, not trying steer him away from a Nox , not trying to block a sale from you.   Just giving some honest advice.

Good luck.

HH
Mike

I totally understand as I get folks all the time who purchase the new updated detector but to find out they really never did spend the time to learn their older unit.

But at the same time, he asked questions and you never did answer any of his questions.  You gave advice as if he is a novice and did not even know his detector when it fact he mentioned he has been detecting for some time and that he wanted opinions on a jewelry detector for lakes in the $600 to $800 range.

No worries my friend and have a wonderful weekend.

BTW, I still wish you would consider the Equinox as a tool in your gaggle of detectors.  Happy Hunting and all is good.

• Like 2