A Couple Of Hours At The Farmhouse

Great finds and sorry that the IH had no date on it better luck next time.

Looks to be a good area for hunting the older coins, just don't tell GB_ or he may try to squeeze in on your site.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds and sorry that the IH had no date on it better luck next time.

Looks to be a good area for hunting the older coins, just don't tell GB_ or he may try to squeeze in on your site.

Good luck and good hunting.

Thanks VL!

The V nickel is a Barber design so I'm hoping it means more. Going to have to wait until there is less risk of ticks and snakes. Too much can hide under the ivy, there are a lot of black widow spiders here too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice hunt.  The ground is pretty hard on niclkes and copper coins, ouch.

Thanks, it's all farm land. Pretty sure the homeowner had a nice yard back in the day so a lot of chemicals were used there too. I'd say that V nickel was pretty worn when lost.

• Like 1

Farmland in general is subject to a lot of chemicals and fertilizers that will speed up decomposition of metals; among other organics! Not to mention the constant soil disturbances from tilling, which exposes metals to more oxidation from oxygen, acids in rain, and a host of other elements!👍👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Farmland in general is subject to a lot of chemicals and fertilizers that will speed up decomposition of metals; among other organics! Not to mention the constant soil disturbances from tilling, which exposes metals to more oxidation from oxygen, acids in rain, and a host of other elements!👍👍

Yep, I agree. Some of the coins in my area are breaking off from the edges. Other older colonial coins are wiped clean....Slick Rick as we say 😄

• Like 2

17 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

there are a lot of black widow spiders here too.

Those are some nasty little spiders, I almost bought it from some babies that got me. I was in the hospital for almost a week from it. I reached into a locker on a ship when grandfather saw the mother and killed it. We did not see the babies until it was to late. He got me to the hospital within an hour and I was bitten over 20 times from them so I hate spiders. I also don't like snakes and ticks either.

Good luck and stay safe.

• Oh my! 3

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Those are some nasty little spiders, I almost bought it from some babies that got me. I was in the hospital for almost a week from it. I reached into a locker on a ship when grandfather saw the mother and killed it. We did not see the babies until it was to late. He got me to the hospital within an hour and I was bitten over 20 times from them so I hate spiders. I also don't like snakes and ticks either.

Good luck and stay safe.

On average I see and kill about 3-5 of them a year. Haven't seen the little ones though. They get in my deer camera enclosures and under the chocks of my RV. I always approach with heavy gloves and spectracide. 😬

I'm not a fan of bees having had a similar experience early on with hornets. Here we have large carpenter bees and European hornets. Thankfully the male Carpenter doesn't sting so a badminton racquet helps 😀

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1