A Couple Of Hours At The Farmhouse

Alright guys,

After Covid is under control, i say we get a group of us to go hang out with Simon in NZ! I don't think they have any of the nasty critters you've dealt with above! And I'm sure he won't mind if we take away a few of "his" silvers back to the States, that seem to be everywhere!👍

Caleb, I think Australia may drive you over the edge!😱🤣 Lots of things to kill you, and creep you out there! 🐍🕷🐊  But than again,  there's the Gold......... and it is on the way to NZ, so..........😀

Besides, the things you have already done in the ocean, ain't for the faint hearted; so I know you are made of some tough stuff!! Keep up the good work!👍👍

BTW, I'm no softie either, but I do get severely motion sick in the ocean🤢, and riding in the backseat of car's ain't fun either! I'm either driving, or riding shotgun!!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScoTTT2 said:

you don't need to see the date on the IHP .. no shield= 1859, first year IHP .. nice hunt

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Too bad it's so burnt up, that's a desirable one. 😵 I was afraid to clean it much.

• Like 3

Nice older coin finds; too bad for the condition.  Do you remember the dTID of the fatty?  I think that's what they call those early small cents, when they contained enough nickel to look white (or is 'gray' a better description?).  I've never found one but in old sites I need to make sure I don't mentally disc them out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice older coin finds; too bad for the condition.  Do you remember the dTID of the fatty?  I think that's what they call those early small cents, when they contained enough nickel to look white (or is 'gray' a better description?).  I've never found one but in old sites I need to make sure I don't mentally disc them out!

They do call them "fatties". 😀 As I recall it was a 16 - I air tested it again, and it is a 16/17. 

I have been digging a lot of pull tabs lately... 🤔

• Like 2

(I'll probably have to eat these words, but) I'd like to see someone who can distinguish the difference between a ring tab and a fatty.  I need to remind myself that ignoring 14-19 dTID's is fine when old coin detecting if the site isn't likely to have mid-19th Century coins.  Forgetting to change that habit in a site such as the one you were searching is going to cost me eventually (and of course I'll never know it...).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

(I'll probably have to eat these words, but) I'd like to see someone who can distinguish the difference between a ring tab and a fatty.  I need to remind myself that ignoring 14-19 dTID's is fine when old coin detecting if the site isn't likely to have mid-19th Century coins.  Forgetting to change that habit in a site such as the one you were searching is going to cost me eventually (and of course I'll never know it...).

I can't afford to ignore any signal here, there are lots of old bottle caps, pull tabs, and bits of foil and old pie plates, not to mention tons of can slaw due to the nearby hunt club and farm. I am pleased to find very little lead.

I'm running all metal, sensitivity cranked, and digging almost everything. I pretty much do that at the campgrounds with great results but a lot of digging.

I use a trick I got from Chase to avoid digging most of the beer cans, he casually mentioned it once but it stuck with me. Swing the detector about a foot over a target, even higher sometimes. If the signal persists it's a beer can. If it disappears at a foot you got more to look at. This also works with large iron that may false as a good signal, but you may be avoiding a buried metal box... 😀

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

but you may be avoiding a buried metal box... 😀

I'll quote (ok, paraphrase) Steve H.:  "just understand that when you ignore a signal there's a chance you passed up a good target, and that chance isn't zero."

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Caleb, I think Australia may drive you over the edge!😱🤣 Lots of things to kill you, and creep you out there! 🐍🕷🐊  But than again,  there's the Gold......... and it is on the way to NZ, so..........😀

But there is bigger gold in Australia, NZ has the small stuff.

Still hoping to go when all this is over, and somewhat back to normal.

So yeah lets plan it, I am sure that Simon can put us up for a couple of weeks or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

On average I see and kill about 3-5 of them a year. Haven't seen the little ones though.

The babies look like specks of dirt that is walking, it takes them a couple of months to be able to see them good.

They have some really bad venom and can kill you faster than their mother, because they don't stop biting.

So yes I hate them little things.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1